Chapter VIII: Brotherly Love

"I've been holding my breath
I've been counting to ten
Over something you said
I've been holding back tears
While you're throwing back beers
I'm alone in bed"

Goten wiped his runny nose on his hoodie sleeve. He pulled his stuffed elephant closer as endless tears streamed down his cheeks. Pain. All he felt was pain and sadness, causing the rancid scent of distress to infiltrate his entire room.

"You know I, I'm afraid of change
Guess that's why we stay the same"

The young omega never left his bedroom nowadays— with the exception of dinner and dodging bullies at school. (He was picked on relentlessly since the showdown between Goro and Trunks.) A rotation of constantly crying and sleeping became a quick habit. He didn't have the energy to even shower anymore... what was the point? It would take away his stench, but not the longing he felt in his heart.

"So tell me to leave
I'll pack my bags, get on the road
Find someone that loves you
Better than I do, darling, I know
'Cause you remind me every day
I'm not enough, but I still stay"

It'd been ten days since his heart was ripped from his chest. 10 days, 240 hours, and 14,400 minutes. The breakup was the only thing he could think about as he still had trouble processing Trunks', "whatever." Whatever? That couldn't truly be the way he felt about ending their two year relationship, could it?

"Feels like a lifetime
Just trying to get by while we're dying inside
I've done a lot of things wrong
Loving you being one
But I can't move on"

Yearning for reprieve, Goten zoned in on Trunks' ki. He focused until he felt a jolt of rigid, faint energy. More tears welled in his puffy eyes after realizing the older Sayian wasn't at his healthiest; His ki would be stronger if he were.

"You know I, I'm afraid of change
Guess that's why we stay the same"

In hindsight, the black-haired teen realized it was self-centered to ask Trunks' to come out given his circumstance. But the idea of keeping their intertwinement a secret for much longer would've drove him insane. He deserves to be happy with the boy he loves, right? And in all fairness, he wouldn't have broken things off if Trunks had at least tried to stop drinking.

"So tell me to leave
I'll pack my bags, get on the road
Find someone that loves you
Better than I do, darling, I know
'Cause you remind me every day
I'm not enough, but I still stay
If you want me to leave
Then tell me to leave and baby I'll go"

Running a single finger over his wrist, devilish thoughts of cutting himself with something sharp crossed his mind. He dug his thumb into his wrist, before sighing defeatedly. The urge to harm himself was there, but then again what was the point? It wouldn't fix the broken pieces of his heart, and he was honestly too depressed to find a blade.

"You remind me every day
I'm not enough, but I still stay"

No knife could hurt him the way his soul hurt when he realized Trunks' and him weren't congruent. And despite his suggestion of staying friends, the omega didn't see a working platonic relationship in the future.

Once the song ended, Goten turned on his phone to find another sad tune. Conveniently, a series of gentle knocks came from his door. Sniffling, he croaked out a, "w-who is it?"