1: Unexpected Encounters

UNEXPECTED ENCOUNTERS
—🕊️🌕🪕🪞—

The Enfield's classic 350 rumbled to a halt, its tires screeching as Advita applied the brakes before putting it on its stand. With a flourish, she removed her shades as she walked into the house, greeted by the maids who quickly took her belongings.

Tune mere jana
Kabhi nahi jana,
Ishq mera dard mera
Aashiq tera

Her phone rang to the tune of her favorite song, "Jai shri krishna, Maate, say?" she answered, her voice laced with amusement.

(Hail lord krishna, mom, say?)

"Jai shri krishna. Why don't you pick up your calls sooner?" her mom's voice came through, a hint of irritation evident.

"As I've told you countless times, mummy, I like to enjoy the music of my ringtone," she replied with a chuckle, knowing it would only annoy her mom more. "I'll be home in five minutes," she added before abruptly ending the call, her mischievous smirk already brewing an idea.

"The Queen is back!" she declared as she entered the hall, drawing attention with the sliding sound of her sneakers on the marble floor. As all eyes turned to her, she struck a pose, hands up in the air like a superhero, before playfully landing on her mom, Radhika, who shot her a glare.

Before her mom could react, Advita twirled her excitedly and dashed upstairs to change, promising to return in five minutes.

Emerging in her casual attire – black boxer shorts and a green t-shirt – she descended the stairs to her mom's shocked gaze.

"Adi! What is this!? What did I tell you?" her mom whisper-yelled, though everyone could hear.

"Mummy, you said my potential in-laws were coming to see me. So, I wrapped up work and came home, just as you asked," Advita retorted with a hint of defiance.

Before her mom could reply, another voice chimed in, someone Advita hadn't noticed until now. "Bhabhiji, let it be. If she's comfortable, it's all fine," the voice offered.

Advita, now sitting beside the newcomer, rested her elbow on his shoulder. "Oh, I didn't see you before, sorry. But hey, I like you already! With a father-in-law as chill as you, I wouldn't even need to meet your son!"

Radhika's horror was palpable as her husband chuckled at Advita's antics. "So, Amar, meet my no-filter daughter. Will you be able to handle this walking cyclone of mine?" he asked, his amusement evident.

"To be honest, bhaisahab, I was expecting the traditional, shy girl with a tea tray. But your daughter isn't even close. I love her already," Riddhima replied.

"Beta ji, you'll wear a lehenga during your pheras at least, right?" Amar teased Advita.

Advita shrugged. "We'll see. But genuinely, uncle, I'm sorry for making you all wait. I had an important meeting with an investor."

After some more tea and snacks, the Aroras left, having finalized a date for Advita and their son to meet later.

"I never expected the rebellious Adi to be so chill about her marriage, especially an arranged one," Shekhar commented, amused.

"Now you're overreacting, Papa. I'm 27 and single, so why not? And if it's your friend's family, and your decision, I trust you," Advita reassured her father.

"I can never understand your daughter; one day she's a roaring lion, the next, an innocent cow," Radhika sighed to her husband.

"Anyways, if it doesn't work out, we always have the option for divorce," Advita joked, giving her mom a wink and high-fiving her dad, earning herself a lecture.

-🪷-

Rudransh's phone erupted with an urgent buzz, jolting him out of his concentration as he shuffled through a mountain of paperwork. With a sigh, he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose and reached for his phone, fingers fumbling until he finally managed to grasp it. Heart pounding in his chest, he unlocked the screen to find a text from his dad about "the thing" they had discussed yesterday—marriage.

His mind raced with a flurry of panicked thoughts. 'Adi? Are my parents so eager to marry me off that they didn't even consider the gender?' His pulse quickened as he contemplated the prospect of a surprise same-sex marriage arranged by his well-meaning but perhaps overly enthusiastic parents.

Just as he was about to spiral into a full-blown panic, another text arrived, this time with Advita Rathore's details and photograph. Relief washed over him in a wave, mingled with a hint of amusement at his own overreaction. 'Adi was just a nickname,' he muttered to himself, feeling slightly foolish for entertaining such wild thoughts.

With a wry smile, he returned to his work, grateful that his impending marriage wasn't the short horror story his mind had briefly conjured..

-🪷-

Shrushti practically bounced with excitement as she approached the Rathore mansion, anticipation buzzing in her veins at the thought of her best friend's upcoming marriage. Lost in her thoughts, she collided with someone, jolting her out of her reverie. Looking up, she found herself face to face with an incredibly handsome gentleman, who offered a sincere apology.

"It's fine. I'm sorry too. By the way, who are you?" Shrushti asked, her curiosity piqued. But before he could respond, she dashed into the house, leaving the bewildered man standing there.

Entering the house, she found Advita looking radiant in a white kurti and jeans, her sneakers adding a touch of casual charm. Shrushti couldn't help but chuckle at her friend's choice of attire, especially considering the occasion.

"Guess what? I just bumped into-" Shrushti began, only to be cut off by Advita's sudden shock. The ice cream she had been enjoying slipped from her grasp as she mumbled in a low voice, "R-rudransh... Arora."

The name hung heavy in the air, sending a shiver down Shrushti's spine.

What could this unexpected encounter mean for Advita and Rudransh?