10. Adiophile

ADIOPHILE

'Tharo birthday kal mana leva, kai dikkat hai!' Whined an 11-year old Advita.

(Will celebrate your birthday tommorow, what's the problem in that?)

'Aa baat hai toh thako mana lesha kal, aaj mahro birthday hai!' Little Advit stomped his foot.

(If that's the case, will celebrate yours tommorow, today is my birthday!)

"Why are you guys fighting, its just a birthday?" Quizzed Anika, pointing at the video, who was amused to see her papa and bua fighting over a mere birthday date.

"No it's not!" The twins exclaimed together, while others laughed at their stupid behaviour.

'They didn't changed a bit,' Kabir smiled at the thought.

The Rathores and Chauhans were really enjoying the moment. After the dinner they were watching the old video tapes.

The clip changed and everyone's eyes lit up. Advita looked at Kabir and they both had a huge grin on their faces.

Chori Chhapre Me Luk Jaay Re
Tanne Levaniyo Aayo
Kalyo Kud Padyo Mele Me
Cycle Puncture Kar Laayo

As the song moved ahead, with every word and every beat, little Kabir and Advita would dance more and more enthusiastically, if that was possible. Everyone saw the video, and smiled feeling nostalgia. How they used to dance at every occasion, well even without any occasion, on this song.

"These three used to play all day long," remembered Shekhar.

"I know. These were quite inseperable. Remember how these little devils would sneak in the kitchen in midnight for snacks?" Sandhya, Kabir's mom said. And soon the videos further continued.

Suddenly Anika paused the video and stood up, "But why are you guys talking in Marwadi in every video. Isn't it ajeeb?"

(Weird)

The twins shared a look before Advita nodded at the other one. Advit stood up and picked Anika in his arms and gently poked her nose, to which she giggled.

"Meri Baisa, learn as much as languages you wish, explore as much as you want, but never forget your roots, your mother tongue. Forgetting your mother tongue is the way towards forgetting your culture. Give respect to Hindi, ofcourse you should, put it above your head. But don't forget one thing, galo katai ne matho nahi rakhi je, head is of no use if you cut your throat. 'Throat' is marwadi," Advit tried to make his daughter understand.

(My dear daughter)

Advita walked towards them, "Junior, a very intelligent person once said, mayad bhasa bolte jin ne aave laaj, isaya kapoota syu dukhi aakho des samaj. And we are not kapoot, we are sapoot, always remember."

(One who has shame in speaking marwadi, disappoints his whole community as well as country;
Spoilt, obident)