i. JENNIFER CHECK IS A SWEETHEART

CHAPTER I:

( jennifer check is a sweetheart )

      CITY LIGHTS GLIMMERED THROUGH OPAQUE CURTAINS AND INTO A FIFTH-FLOOR APARTMENT, SUN FAINTLY SETTING ALREADY, AND A TELEVISION SET TO PLAY BLASTING LOUD MUSIC

      CITY LIGHTS GLIMMERED THROUGH OPAQUE CURTAINS AND INTO A FIFTH-FLOOR APARTMENT, SUN FAINTLY SETTING ALREADY, AND A TELEVISION SET TO PLAY BLASTING LOUD MUSIC. Figures lurked in every corner of the City of Lights, friends turned foe, foes turned friend.

      Sakadi Renaux stood in front of a large body mirror examining every detail of her costume. A glammed scream queenJennifer Check. Tonight was the first Halloween party of the month she and her friends would be attending so she had planned multiple costumes for the multiple parties throughout October. Tonight they were planning on staying out for a while so she wore her most versatile one.

      Little effort had gone into the costume which is why Kade held such little care for it being out for such an extended amount of time. Cropped jacket with little hearts littering it, low-rise jeans, heart earrings, and wedges that tied at the ankle with bows. The girl glanced at her closet door with the ever-so-iconic prom dress hanging from it. That was the main course.

Silk dress completely sewn by Kade, bedazzling around the underbust ribbon that was tied and sewn on to stay in place, and lace placed in ways only a perfectionist could.

Sakadi was set on winning the best Halloween costume this year with the three different Jennifer costumes she created by herself. Halloween was either a designer's Christmas or Hell with the different looks that could be created.

"Kade, are you almost done? Mindy's gonna chew my ass out for not getting us out sooner."

The voice of her roommate snatched the girl out of her own personal fashion show she was having with herself while her music continued to blare through their home.

"Dude, I was waiting for you, I've been ready for like ten minutes," she quipped while grabbing her phone and purse that went with her costume. The boy groaned loudly before rushing out of her doorway to get his phone to contact their friends.

"Kade, I'm gonna kill you," he threatened while quickly texting presumably Mindy.

The girl began for their door, heels clicking after her on her way. "Cal, come on before you make us late." His eyes widened at her remark, head snapping up and mad scientist goggles almost falling off of his head. The girl faintly saw his expression as she exited their apartment and couldn't contain the stream of laughs leaving her.

      Sakadi stood taller than Callum, with and without heels, naturally standing at a lengthy five-ten, so when the girl was on her way down the hall, the boy was left to take larger and usual strides to keep in step with her. "I'm completely throwing you under the bus for this, I don't care," he admitted.

      She only shrugged, "Mindy knows I'm a perfectionist, I had to make sure all of the gems were in place and none had come off." She tugged at the jacket with the light bedazzling she had added along with the back pockets of her jeans and earrings. "Art takes time."

They rounded a corner into the nearly closing elevator. Kade added a skip to her steps to intercept the doors with an extended arm for the sensors to notice. The tall girl stepped through the reopening doors, Callum rushing in right after her.

      Only one other person stood in the medium-sized elevator, a man, how thrilling. He seemed about their age, twenty or so, slightly shorter than Kade but taller than Callum, and Nascar racer costume on his body. He hadn't been outwardly threatening or menacing as Sakadi reached to press the ground floor button "What floor?" He had put his hand in front of hers so he could press whatever before her.

      "Ground," the roommates answered synchronized.

      A glare.

      The girl didn't let it go unnoticed. Her face screwed up quizzically towards her friend who only matched her face with a confused expression.

      A silence ran through the three, the boy dressed as Dr. Frankenstein had been typing sporadically on his phone and the other two exchanged stolen glances.

      "So, are you guys going to a party?" the stranger began. Callum hummed a response while Kade stayed silent with her bored eyes forward, the elevator slowly descending. "What about you, hon?"

      "Only I answered your question and we walked in together, use your context clues," the scientist answered without missing a beat or taking his eyes off of the screen and Sakadi had to hold in her laugh.

      The guy scoffed turning to the two completely taken aback. "Dude, don't cock block," he said as though it were obvious. Now Callum looked up from his screen confused but the fashion student only looked at him as if he were a pair of worn-out sandals.

      "What exactly is he blocking?" she questioned the racer. Second floor.

He ignored her, "I like your costume, I love that movie."

      Callum had returned to his texting, Kade could only wonder who exactly he was talking to, but he seemed to not believe the stranger.

"Wasn't Jennifer such a sweetheart?" Sakadi feigned fangirl. The racer winced at the trivia.

"I mean, yeah..?"

Callum glanced up with complete judgement on his features. "Yeah, he's not blocking anything." Ground floor. The fashionista slid her eyes from his beat-up Converse to the mess of blond strands on his head in full disdain. The doors opened. "And you wouldn't be able to handle me anyway."

NOTE

NOTE. this def took longer than it shouldve but i completely changed the first chapter because she was originally gonna be tiffany (bride of chucky) but jennifer feels so much more fitting

also KADE IS NOT CONCEITED‼️ i feel like a few people might say she is and people in the story def think so but shes just very sure of herself and is a bit of a diva to strangers