x. MISSING CHARGER

CHAPTER X:

( missing charger )

( missing charger )

     AN HOUR LATER, ONCE MORE, SAKADI FOUND HERSELF SITTING CRISSCROSSED ON HER COOL MATTRESS WITH A WHITE HEADBAND IN ONE HAND AND A RHINESTONE APPLICATOR IN THE OTHER

AN HOUR LATER, ONCE MORE, SAKADI FOUND HERSELF SITTING CRISSCROSSED ON HER COOL MATTRESS WITH A WHITE HEADBAND IN ONE HAND AND A RHINESTONE APPLICATOR IN THE OTHER. She was taking a chance with her tray of jewels laying on the comforter if it somehow tipped over on her bed but she couldn't be bothered to move her project to her desk as she had been so close to finishing it.

      Then, near the bottom of the headband, she received a text.

      Kade rolled her eyes at the buzzing she felt on her thigh yet persisted with her bedazzling. Another buzz. She ignored it again. A third buzz. Now she couldn't ignore it.

      dick: you left ur charger here.
      dick: sakadi.
      dick: ur chronically online i know ur phones near you

The girl couldn't help the fast exhale of air that came out from her nose with a small smile as she saw the name she had so proudly given Ethan. But then she actually read what he said and responded.

      kade: no i didnt

      dick: yes you did

      kade: no.

      dick: then why am i literally looking at it??

      kade: and why is it literally charging my phone rn??

      dick: liar

      kade: its not mine

      dick: come get it

      kade: READ THIS
      kade: ITS. NOT. MINE.

Glaring at the response from Sakadi, Ethan's face twisted at the sight of her charger grasped in his hands while he leaned against the arm of the sofa she had been sitting on only an hour ago.

After a few more seconds of no more messages from Kade, the boy groaned lolling his head back and pocketing his phone in his pajama pants.

"Hey, I'm taking Kade's stupid charger to her upstairs," he said popping his head into his roommate's bedroom door to see him sprawled out on his mattress.

Not looking up from his scrolling on his phone, Chad mindlessly replied, "Yeah, okay, man."

Walking back into the living room, Ethan slipped on his shoes as agonizingly annoyed as possible. He could just keep it for the night full well knowing their friend group would meet up at some point in the day, but he planned to shove the charger in her face knowing it was hers and wanting to prove her wrong. Who else would have small jewels at the base of the cord?

Locking the front door behind him, Ethan began his journey to triumph against Sakadi. Call him petty or childish for it, he would probably agree.

      After the shortest walk up two flights of stairs, the journalist easily found the recognizable apartment he had so rarely been in over his time of knowing Sakadi and Callum.

      With five rhythmic knocks on the brown door, he waited a short minute with the blue charger in his hand before the door opened to reveal Callum also still in his matching pajamas.

      "Kade's awake right?" Ethan asked peering behind the shorter boy.

      "Yeah, she is," replied Callum.

      "Can you tell her I found–"

      "Oh shit, you found my charger." Ethan's eyes slightly widened at Callum's words while mindlessly holding it up for him to take.

A beat of silence passed while the wrong boy sighed with his lips pressed together in a thin line. "Yeah, your charger, Cal." Now he felt stupid.

"Who's at the door?" Kade's voice called out. Swiftly turning on his heel, the curly-haired boy began retreating to the elevator, far too much resent for not wanting to believe Sakadi had prevented him from wanting to take the stairs as he would probably hurl himself down them.

"It's Ethan."

And then Ethan could hear the quick stomping of the designer's feet pattering across their apartment to catch Ethan before he was gone.

"I fucking told you so!" she had shouted down the hallway without so much as a second thought for her sleeping neighbors. Ethan's head only ducked down as he raised his right hand showcasing his middle finger at her while he heard her obnoxiously triumphant laugh echoing down the hallway.

      Narrowly entering the closing elevator before it closes, Ethan could only sigh quietly with a microscopic upturn to the corners of his mouth that not even he could tell he was doing.

      "Is she your girlfriend?"

      He harshly flinched at the voice whipping his head around and realizing he hadn't been alone in the old elevator. Glancing behind him with his hands in the pockets of his pajamas, a light brown-haired girl stood leaning against the paint-chipped wall of the machine.

The boy with curls shook his head quickly registering her question. "Hell no," Ethan immediately answered.

      The girl only shrugged. "I just assumed she was when I saw you the other night."

      Ethan pressed the button to go to the lower level for his apartment before a wave of familiarity with the girl washed over him as he looked at her for long enough to see the yellow and purple hues on her cheekbone. The girl Sakadi had punched after the party. 

He hadn't even tried to question her statement. "Yeah, no. We're the farthest thing from being together. Like, we're barely even friends."

      "Good to know," was all the stranger could say with a nod and hum her understanding while seeming to listen closely to every syllable slipping from his tongue more than any other stranger would.

      Just before she could get another word in, the elevator doors rattled open and Ethan was quick to step off without so much as another thought of the unneeded interaction.

      Picking out his keys from his pockets, the boy fumbled with the lock for only a second then twisted and turned the door open ajar but his movements halted ad he put one foot through the door with a startling sound coming from the general area of a bodega outside of the apartment complex.

      The sound of a gunshot.