Chapter 8 - Justin

Justin

       I was seriously not in the mood to be messing around tonight. I’d been waiting for quite a few months for this summer bash that Nick was throwing, and even when my prospects had been dampened by Dad forcing me to take Laila, I wasn’t going to let anything ruin this night. Not by a long shot.

 “Laila,” I said, putting a hand on the truck to lean down closer to her. “Have you ever actually been to a party before?”

  Laila glared up at me, her chin jutting out. “Are you implying that I don’t have friends, Justin?”

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. “Laila, seriously. Are you scared or something?”

  “No,” she fired back immediately, flushing red. “I am not scared.”

 I arched an eyebrow. I was the one that did the lying and sneaking around. Laila Hayes was most certainly not well practiced in the art of what was supposed to be my forte.

  “Be honest with me, sweetheart. No more playing around,” I found myself saying seriously.

 I wasn’t sure who was more surprised – myself, or Laila.

  Laila let out a small sigh, and pinched the bridge of her nose, squeezing her eyes shut. I waited for answer, hoping she wasn’t about to start having a panic attack or something.

  “Look, I don’t know any of your friends, and I’m just not a really sociable person, and I’m just –“

  “Laila.”

  “– the nerdy type of girl who just totally skips parties, and – “

  “Laila.”

  “– I don’t even know why you bothered to take me to this stupid party, and – “

  “Laila!

  She stopped babbling, going breathless, and stared up at me with her wide, innocent looking eyes.

 “It’s going to be just fine, all right?” I told her, actually sounding sympathetic for once in my life. “All of my friends have been dying to meet you, anyway.”

  Her face promptly turned a fetching shade of maroon.

 “You told your friends about me?” Laila demanded, her voice high pitched.

  I rolled my eyes. “Believe me, it’s sort of hard not to talk about you, Laila.”

 That caught Laila off guard for a second. She stared at me with a frown slowly forming on her face.