Chapter 33 - Laila

Laila

      I was greeted with the sight of my best friend looming over me with a ridiculous smile on her face the second I opened my eyes on my 16th birthday.

 “Gah!” I yelped, yanking the covers up and over my head. “What the hell are you doing, Lissa?”

Even though Lissa Meyers was my very best friend and sister in all sense of the word, she could often be enough to make anybody question their sanity from time to time.

 “I came to wish you a happy birthday, of course!” Lissa chirped, wrenching the covers away from me.   

 I glowered up at her and fumbled around on the nightstand, trying to find my alarm clock to check the time. It was seven thirty in the morning.

 “You really had to wake me up this early?” I groaned, flopping back against the pillows.

“Of course, silly,” Lissa babbled on, clearly unaware of my foul mood. “You’re sixteen now! Society has deemed you as a young lady!”

 I rolled my eyes and yawned while Lissa fiddled with locks of her bright blonde hair, smiling widely. 

 “I don’t really care if I’m a young lady or not, Lissa,” I told her sourly. “I just want to get some freaking sleep.”

 “No way,” Lissa exclaimed, shaking her head furiously. “We’ve got a fun day planned today!”

  Before I could even object or shout about how ridiculously unfair this all was, Lissa had yanked me up and out of bed, giving me a shove towards my bedroom door.

  “Go take a shower,” she ordered firmly. “And I’ll pick something out for you to wear.”

“But I – “

  “Go, Laila!”

I muttered obscenities under my breath the entire time I stomped my way to the bathroom, my bad mood worsening. This really was completely stupid. So what if it was birthday? It’s not like I really wanted to do anything, anyways. Save for curling up in a ball in my bed with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s best ice cream for comfort.

But that sort of thing was pathetic, and I’d never admit to that. Out loud, at least.

   I tried to let the pounding flow of the water beating against my back relax me and forget about everything that had happened recently, but it wasn’t any use. Not even my favorite smelling soap and shampoo could accomplish that, either.

   Before the all the hot water started running out, I twisted off the faucet and hopped out, wrapping myself up in my favorite fluffy white towel. After I washed my face with apricot soap and ran a brush through my tangled hair, I left the bathroom, heading back to my room.

  My room was pretty much my favorite place to be at all times.

The walls were painted a dark maroon color and a lot of my favorite band posters were tacked up – like Paramore, Bring Me The Horizon, Black Veil Brides, or Superchick. There were several delicious smelling candles lined up on the window sill, a large bookcase that was filled to breaking point with all of my most loved books, and paper lanterns decorated with cherry blossoms hung from the ceiling.

  The room was decorated in no particular style, it didn’t make sense, and it was completely me. Needless to say, Lissa was really the only one of my friends who had ever been in here before.

  “There you are!” Lissa squealed when she noticed that I was standing in the doorway. “I picked out an outfit for you!”

  I fought back a groan.