Chapter 21 - Laila

Laila

            It didn't come as a surprise to me that I woke up with a smile plastered on my face the next morning. In fact, I even welcomed it. That just meant that everything that had happened last night actually did happen and they weren't just figments of my imagination.

   I spent maybe about a half hour just staring up at the ceiling, replaying the images of last night over and over in my mind. It was safe to say they weren't going to be forgotten any time soon.

   I was jolted out of my reverie by my cell phone ringing obnoxiously loud. Letting out a groan, I rolled over and fumbled around on the night stand before I managed to grab my cell phone and flipped it open with a sigh.

   "Hello?"

 "Where the hell have you been?" 

  Lissa immediately started squawking at me over the line, demanding to know everything that had happened at the party last night. I barely even understood half of what she was saying she was talking that fast.

  "Hang on there, Lissa," I said quickly, trying to slow her down. "I'll tell you everything you need to know when you stop talking a mile a minute."

   Lissa took a deep, shuddering breaths for what felt like ten minutes before she finally spoke again.

  "Okay. Tell me what happened."

I couldn't keep the ridiculous smile off my face while I regailed Lissa with an entire play-by-play of everything that had happened last night. I threw in as much extra details as I could, just for her benefit, and it turned out to be pretty amusing. I seriously doubted I'd heard her gasp and shriek as much before.

  "He kissed you!" Lissa squealed, nearly making me go deaf.

 "Uhm, yeah..." I trailed off, embarrassed.

   When she put it like that, wasn't the entire institution of kissing sort of... well, cheesy?

 "How was it? Was it nice? Was it everything you hoped it would be? Are his lips soft? Is he a good kisser?" 

  I almost flipped off the bed out of embarrassment. Slapping a hand to my forehead, I slid down the bed, yanking the covers up to my chin. 

  "....You really wannna know?" I asked Lissa slowly, trying to lay it on thick.

  "God, Laila, of course I wanna know!" Lissa all but screamed. 

   "My God, Lissa, he's the best kisser. His lips are amazing, and - "

"'Morning, sweetheart." 

    Justin peered in to the room, leaning against the doorjamb with a crooked grin in place.

  I screamed and tossed the phone off the bed and onto the floor.

   Justin stared blankly down at the floor where my cell phone was and glanced back up at me with a curious look on his face.

  "Surprised to see me, too?" he suggested with a smirk.

 I made a disgusted scoff, kicking the covers back and rolling out of bed so I could grapple around on the floor, trying to grab my cell phone.

   "Hey, Liss?" I said breathlessly. "I gotta go."

"What? Why? Oh, wait - " she said quickly, realization setting in. "Is Justin there?"