Chapter 25 - Laila (part 1)

Laila

      I could tell Mitch and Ashleigh were crazy in love by the way they were gazing into each other's eyes while the pastor in front of them had them recite their vows. And when the pastor finally pronounced them man and wife, Mitch dipped Ashleigh into his arms and kissed her.

  I smiled like a maniac, clapping along with the rest of the wedding guests as Mitch lead Ashleigh down the aisle, their fingers entwined. Everyone rushed after them, demanding to take pictures and shouting out congratulations.

  My mom, the Richards, and the Petrolases were out of their seats after everybody else, too, while Justin and I stayed behind, lounging comfortably in our chairs.

   "That was a nice wedding," I said with a grin. "They definitely love each other."

  "Yeah, I'm surprised the poor sucker was still standing there," Justin said conversationally. "What with Ashleigh and everything."

  "Justin!"

"What?" he said, giving me an innocent look.

  "Ashleigh's a great woman," I said to Justin. "Mitch is lucky to have her."

Justin grinned crookedly, looking devilishly handsome with bright sunlight glinting off of his dark black hair. 

  "Oh, I know," he said with a wink. "It runs in the family. Or so I've heard."

I gave Justin a look, resisting the urge to shove him off his seat.

  "So," Justin trailed off, rubbing the back of his neck. "In a Jewish wedding, what would happen now?"

  "The bride and groom would be put on chairs and lifted in the air while all the guests dance around them and play crazy music."

  "Really?"

 I smirked.

  Justin fell silent for half a second (a real accomplishment for him, trust me) before he blurted, "We're gonna have to try that sometime tonight."

  And before I could even object to that, Justin was up and out of his chair, tugging me after him, leading us over towards the jumble of people crowded around Ashleigh and Nick.

  Ashleigh's face was flushed with color, a pleased look on her face while she laughed as different guests babbled at her. Mitch was watching Ashleigh with a slightly awed look on his face, like he couldn't believe he actually just married her.

  "Congratulations, Ashleigh," I told her with a smile when I finally managed to reach her.

Ashleigh laughed and gave me a small hug.

  "Thanks, Laila," she said with a grin. "Oh, and by the way?"

"Yeah?" I said slowly, a little cautious.

  "Tell Justin to keep his mouth shut when he looks at you, okay?"

Before I could even ask Ashleigh what the hell she meant, Justin was behind me, his hands at my shoulders, a slight smirk on his face.

 "Thanks, Ashleigh," he said in a pleasant voice. "But you might want to tell Mitch to follow your advice, too."

  Ashleigh's mouth opened in surprise and she instantly blushed before somebody kicked Justin in the shin, banging into me slightly.

 "Out of my way, Justin," a little girl's voice barked in indignantion. "I want to congratulate my sister."

I grabbed Justin's forearm and tugged him out of the way as a howling little devil in a pink dress stomped up to Ashleigh.