Chapter 14 - Justin

Justin

        "Justin! Come on, dinner's ready!"

 I glanced up with a scowl, pissed off that my little sister had picked that moment to interrupt me while I was working on a new set of chords. I sat there on my bed for just a few moments, wallowing in my own agitation and self-pity. But then Emma just started shouting even louder, purposely stomping her feet on the stairs, marching towards my room.

  "Ugh," I groaned, sliding my guitar off my lap.  

I'd been hiding out in my room for the latter half of the day, ever since that less than pleasant run in with Laila in the kitchen earlier. Apparently that wasn't to last much longer. My mother would have a conniption if I dared to even ask if I could eat dinner in my room. Not to mention Miranda.

  Emma was seconds away from banging her fists on the door as I wrenched it open, nearly sending her tumbling backwards.

  "You know what that means, right?" I asked her, grabbing her arm to steady her. "Interrupting me?"

 Emma scowled up at me, pouting. "You should've just come down the first time we called you."

 "I was busy," I said flatly.

  She made some disgusted noise and flounced back down the stairs, humming under her breath.

Ladies and gentlemen - that's my sister for you.

 I sighed and followed after her down the stairs, my stomach dropping.

 It was dinner, was it? That meant that I'd have to suffer through an hour of what was sure to be an awkward supper with Laila.

 I sighed again. Oh, Laila

Mom, Dad, Jeanine, Emma, and Laila were already seated at the dining room table by the time I slouched my way into the dining room. The fact that we were having pasta marinara placated me slightly, since it was my favorite dish, but I was still nervous as hell, which made no sense, of course.

 Mom's eyes flickered back and forth from me and Laila. I cleared my throat pointedly and dug into my plate of pasta, my stomach rumbling. 

 "So...." Dad trailed off, trying to make conversation. "How was everyone's day?"

 "Excellent," Emma piped up, smiling hugely. "I learned how to do a roundhouse kick without falling over."

 "That's way more than I can do." Jeanine laughed, grinning at Emma. "Congratulations."

"Good job," Laila complimented her with a smile. "It took me forever to learn how to juggle."

 Emma made a confused face. "What do you mean, juggling? Like with bowling pins and stuff?"

Laila laughed, almost choking on her glass of soda. 

 "No," she giggled. "Like, juggling, with a soccer ball."

Emma's dark brown eyes lit up like fireworks on the 4th of July.

"Can you show me how to do that?"   

"Sure." Laila shrugged. "I don't see why not."

    Emma jumped up from her chair and was almost out the dining room door before Mom called her back with an exasperated sigh.

  "Emmeline Rose, get back here," Mom ordered. "Finish your dinner."

Emma trudged back to her seat, complaining under her breath as she grabbed her fork.