Chapter 10 - Justin

Justin

    "Hey, where are you going?" Maggie asked as I stood up from the couch, untangling myself from her.

In all honesty? Being around Maggie and her more than obnoxious, babbling friends - Brittany, Alanna, and Sloane - had definitely been taking it's toll on me. I think it'd only been eons since I'd sat down on the couch in the living room. And now I couldn't take it anymore.

"Outside for some air," I grunted, not even glancing back over my shoulder.

Of course, Maggie and her annoying friends protested, but I just ignored them, pretending that I couldn't hear them over the annoyingly loud music. I had no idea why my night had taken a sudden turn for the worse. I was in an incredibly foul moud, about ready to take it out on anyone that even dared to look at me wrong.

Maybe I was pissed off because Maggie's lipgloss had smeared off on my mouth. Or maybe I was pissed off because Laila had walked off with Nick God only knows how long ago. And I had no idea where she was.

As embarrassing and humiliating as it was to admit - I was freaking about Laila.

Where was she? Was she all right? Had she gotten lost? What if some creeper nerd guy from school had showed up uninvited and tried to get with her or something? What if -?

"Get a grip, man," I muttered, rubbing my eyes with the heels of my palms.

I needed to stop freaking about Laila. Judging by the look on Laila's face when Maggie had shown up and attached herself to my side, she was definitely not thinking about me. And yeah, as horrible as it sounded, I was most certainly thinking about her.

I hated life.

I wandered into the kitchen, craining my neck so I could see over the awkward clumps of teens crowded around in every avaliable space possible. I was starting to get seriously annoyed, and I wanted to know where Laila was, so I had at least could have some peace of mind.

As luck would have it, I quickly spotted out Nick's recognizably touseled hair as he leaned against one of the kitchen counters, deep in conversation with someone I couldn't make out. Examining the scene further, I noticed with relief that he was talking with Laila, who appeared as if she was thoroughly enjoying herself, and Avery Rodriguez.

I liked Avery Rodriguez. She was one of my closest friends, and probably the only person that I'd ever really let my guard down around before. She knew a lot about me, more than I'd like to admit, and was always there if I'd ever needed to talk. Which, incidentially, didn't happen very often. Either way, I had missed her.

Taking a deep breath, clenching my fists, I manuevered my way through the groups of people crowding around in the kitchen and headed towards Nick and Laila. Marshall, Alec, and Jack, the guys, were of course not very far.

"Hola, cachorro," Avery greeted me with a small, affectionate smile.

I scowled. "I don't know what that means, you know."

Avery smirked, her brown eyes glinting. "That's the point."

Laila snickered, hiding her smile by taking a sip of Coke.

I glanced wearily over at her, suddenly feeling really tired.

"You all right?" I asked her, not unkindly.

She pulled a sour face, grimacing. "Does it matter?

I arched an eyebrow. Where had that come from?