Chapter 22 - Justin

Justin

       "Hey, sweetheart. Wake up."

 No response. Just a muffled groan as Laila shoved her head underneath her pillow in attempts to block me out.

   I nudged Laila gently again, prodding a finger into her back. She slapped a hand in my direction.

"Stop that!" she moaned, sounding barely awake.

   I chuckled against my better judgement and wrenched back the covers away from her, almost sending them flying off the end of the bed.

   "Wake up, sweetheart," I repeated with a crooked grin.

Laila huffed out a sigh and sat up, pushing back her tangled hair from her face.

   "What do you want?" she demanded, her sea-blue eyes barely open.

"It's almost noon," I explained, crossing my arms. "Our moms told me to come and wake you up."

  "Ugh," Laila groaned, flopping back against the mountain of pillows on the bed. "Why?"

"Because we're going shopping," I told her with a chipper smile.

"What for?" she shrieked, her voice pitching up at least three octaves. "I hate shopping!"

 "Are you forgetting that we're leaving for Colorado the day after tomorrow? For a wedding?" I asked her, my grin widening.

  A blank look crossed Laila's face for half a second before she was practically crying.

  "Come on, sweetheart," I sighed, bending down to wrap an arm around her waist to help her to her feet.

  "Shopping isn't going to be so bad," I told her conversationally as I lead her from the room. "Nick'll be coming with us, anyways. And he's always a laugh, right?"

 "Yeah, Nick's always - wait, why is Nick coming with us?" Laila broke off in confusion, glancing up at me.

  I adverted my eyes, looking anywhere but at Laila, nudging her so she would start heading down the stairs first.

  "Because Nick is coming with us to Colorado," I began, taking a steady breath. "And.... so is Maggie."

   Laila stopped short, her fingers gripping the banister. I nearly walked into her from behind.

"Are you serious?" she squeaked.

   "Nick and Maggie's parents are close friends with my parents and my mother's brother - Ashleigh's father," I explained in a rush, trying to get everything out in one breath. "We have a vacation house about forty minutes away from Silverton - in Ouray - and since it's big enough, the Petrolas family is going to be staying with us, since they've been invited to the wedding, too."

  Laila didn't say anything after my stupid explanation, which made my nerves start twisting into knots.

   Just as I was about to ask her if she would just say something already, she said in a high voice, "How long are we staying in Colorado?"

  Oh, great. She'd had to go and ask another horrible question.

"About a week or two," I answered hesitantly.

  She turned to me with a rather interested expression on her face.

"I'll be in Colorado for my sixteenth birthday?" Laila said, her tone peculiar.