Chapter 27 - Laila

Laila

      "Please?"

      "No."

     "Pretty please?"

     "No!"

     "Come on, Laila! Live a little! Will you just try it, please?"

  I fought back a shudder as I stared at the large, fat cheeseburger coated in grease wrapped up in paper in Justin's hands. He was giving me an indulgent grin, his eyes glinting mischievously, trying to get me to try the artery clogging piece of food.

   "That looks so disgusting," I grimaced, making a face. "Why on Earth do you want me to try that?"

"Ouray has the best burgers," Justin told me energetically. "Trust me, you're gonna love it."

   "If I don't die from a heart attack first," I grumbled under my breath.

In reality, I so did not want to try the cheeseburger that was topped off with some sort of sauce with the works - lettuce, tomato, onion, and anything else the cook could think of. But my pride was weighing out more than my urge to puke.

 There was no chance that I would let Justin Richards of all people beat me in anything. Even if "anything" transcribed as eating a horrific looking cheeseburger.

  "Fine," I groaned, rolling my eyes, before grabbing the cheeseburger from him and taking a bite.

I nearly died.

  "Holy shit!"

"Laila! Language!" Emma scoffed loudly, going hands on hips.

  I shrugged indifferently before taking another bite of the delicious thing, suddenly ravenously hungry.

  "Told you so," Justin said smugly, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Yeah, well," I muttered self consciously.

   I plopped myself down on a red bench outside the homey looking burger joint Justin had got our lunch from and admittedly, I was enjoying the food. Hell, I was probably even going to eat some of the onion rings Emma got for us all to split.

  What can I say? I was on vacation. I had a right to pig out, didn't I?

Justin took a seat beside me on the bench, munching away on his own cheeseburger that had to be double the size of my own. And for some odd reason, Emma was eating beef tacos, but I had no idea where she got them from.

 We ate in a comfortable silence, a soft breeze ruffling our hair as it blew through the tiny little tourist trap that was Ouray.

I had to admit that I was definitely liking the place.

 Cozy little home-owned shops lined the streets on either side of the main road that lead straight through Ouray. Each one of the eccentric looking shops had something different to offer and I was hopeful that maybe after we finished eating we'd be able to go exploring.

  "Are you having fun, sweetheart?" Justin asked as I stood to throw away my cheeseburger wrapper.

  I grinned, feeling my cheeks warm. "You could say that."

"So...." 

  I glanced over at Justin and saw the shifty look he was giving me.

"Yes?" I hinted.

  "You like antique shops?" 

I stared at Justin like he had just said something ridiculously stupid.