Chapter 25 - Laila (part 2)

Laila

"Hi, honey. How are you?"

 My dad's deep, calming voice floated out over the line, catching me completely off guard. This was literally the last thing I was expecting to happen. Why on Earth would my dad be calling me? It wasn't even my birthday or Hanukkah. 

 I clutched at the table, taking steadying breaths, not wanting to pass out. At that point, that was probably what was going to happen. 

 "I-I'm fine," I stammered, gnawing on my lip. "And you?"

"Good," Dad said with a small laugh.  "I'm fine. I know it's been a while since we last talked."

Yeah, "a while" as in last December.

  "Yeah," I agreed weakly, clearing my throat. "It has been."

"Are you enjoying your summer vacation?" Dad asked conversationally.

 I wanted to shout at him and demand to know what the hell was going on, but somehow I knew that wouldn't be the proper response. I caught sight of Justin watching me with a guarded, cautious look in his eyes that only reminded me of everything that had happened in the past several weeks.

 "You could say that," I said, feeling a bit calmer. "It's certainly been one for the books."

 "That's good," Dad said. "I'm glad."

 I managed to hum in agreement, but speaking was getting a little too difficult. What was there for me to say to my father? He'd missed out on nearly all of my life so far. Why should a few more years make any difference or not?

 "Listen, honey. I was talking to Cheryl the other day, and we were both wondering if you would want to fly out here to New York City during your winter vacation."

 I stopped breathing. "What?"

"Nico really wants to meet you."

Yeah, I really wanted to meet my little brother, too. But what on Earth had brought this on?

 I looked over at Mom, trying to gauge her reaction. It was almost as if she knew exactly what was going on. Her eyes were brighter than normal and gleaming, but she gave a small nod of approval. 

 "Dad?" I began hesitantly. "I'd love to come visit you and Cheryl and Nico."

Cheryl was my father's new wife - my step mother - a woman I'd never even met before, but had been reassured several times that she was a highly wonderful, elegant young woman.

 "Great!" Dad exclaimed.

And the funny thing was, he really sounded glad that I'd agreed.

  "I'll look into flight information soon, and I'll send you the details," he said in rather cheery voice. 

"Okay," I said. "That sounds good."

 "I miss you, honey."

 I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to hold back the tears that were threatening to spill over. Now what was I supposed to say to that?

  "I...I miss you too, dad," I mumbled in a small, quiet voice.

There was a loud, muffled banging noise over the line and then a shout of a rather loud obscenity.

"Laila, honey, I've gotta go - Nico just got into the refridgerator. Love you, sweetie. Bye."

 I couldn't even muster up a reply before the line went dead.