Chapter 23 - Laila

Laila

       I zipped my duffelbag closed and dropped it on the bed beside the new book I got yesterday when we were out shopping - So Much Closer. Since this was going to be my first time flying today, I definitely needed a new book to distract myself. Not only from the airplane, but because Maggie Petrolas of all people would be spending the week and a half with us in Colorado.

    I sighed, squeezing my eyes shut as I pinched the bridge of my nose.

This was going to be hell.

   Even if Justin - surprise, surprise - was going to be with us during the whole endeavor, I doubted I was going to make it through this.

   There was a knock on the guest room door.

I turned around, taking a deep breath, preparing to put a happy smile on my face and act like nothing was going to wrong. Because even if someone was trying to convince me otherwise - things were gonna go wrong. No doubt about it.

   "I'm such a pessimist," I muttered under my breath before opening the door.

Justin stood in the doorway, a half asleep look on his face as he yawned.

  "Ready to go?" he asked, sleep lacing his voice.

"As I'll ever be," I sighed, crossing my arms over my chest. "Are we leaving now?"

 Justin nodded, running a hand through his tangled hair.

"Sorry, sweetheart," he sighed. "I know you don't want to go."

  "It's not that!" I exclaimed, surprised. "I'm actually excited to see Ashleigh. I haven't seen her in forever. It's just...."

  "Maggie," Justin finished for me with a grimace.

What was the point in lying? He'd hit it straight on.

  "Yeah," I admitted sheepishly.

Justin laughed, reaching out to tug on a strand of my hair.

  "No one's blaming you, Laila."

I sure hoped he was right.

  "Mom's already getting antsy," Justin said, jabbing a thumb over his shoulder. "You probably should take your stuff down now."

  I grabbed my duffle bag and book and left the room, Justin shutting the door behind me as I went.

"You aren't going to start vomitting when we get on the plane, are you?" Justin said from behind me as we walked down the stairs.

  I rolled my eyes, tossing him a sardonic look over my shoulder.

"Very funny, Richards. And no, I'm not."

  I turned back around with a gulp. I hoped.

Emma was already waiting in the foyer when Justin and I made it down the staircase. Mom and Kim weren't far behind, toting their luggage around in their grasps.

  "Excited, Laila?" Mom squealed, rushing forward to squeeze my shoulders.

I blanched. That was an answer enough for Mom.

  "Oh, sweetie, it'll be okay," she sighed, hugging me tightly.

"I'm fine, Mom," I gagged, squirming out of her grasp.

  "Don't worry," she said with a giggle. "Justin'll be there to keep you safe."

 I rolled my eyes, scoffing. "Very funny."