Chapter 55

The next morning, I wake up to the sound of birds chirping outside the window. The sunlight filters through the curtains, casting a warm glow in the room. As I stretch and yawn, Nikki tightens his grip around my waist. "Kids, breakfast is ready!" Nona shouts from the kitchen. I unlace Nikki's fingers from each other and get dressed. I make my way to the kitchen, where the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and something delicious cooking fills the air. Nona stands at the stove, humming a tune as she flips pancakes on a griddle.
     "Good morning" I yawn, greeting them both, trying to maintain a cheerful tone.
     "Good morning, dear. Take a seat" Nona says with a warm smile. "Where's the rockstar?"
     "He'll be out in a minute" I responded, pouring myself a cup of coffee.
     "More for you then." She smiles, setting a plate full of delicious breakfast food on the table in front of me.
     "You're an angel," I responded. Nikki emerges from the bedroom, shirtless and hair covering his face. "Nice to see that you made yourself decent before coming out here." I smile.
     "Good morning to you too." he says sitting down next to me. "It's freezing in here, Nona."
     "That's because you're half-naked," she says, setting a full plate in front of him as well.
     "Whatever" he says, shoving food into his mouth.
     "So, what's the plan for today?" I ask, taking a bite of the fluffy pancakes.
     Nikki swallows his food before answering. "Well, I was thinking we could go into town..." he pauses and whispers "I didn't get either of them christmas presents." I nod my head in disappointment, yet I'm not surprised.
     Nona chimes in "Could you also pick up a few things from the market? I need a few things for Christmas dinner!"
     "Make a list for us and we'll go pick it up." I responded.
     "Here." She says handing me an already made list "And make sure to get the good stuff, I know you remember those." She smiles.
     "Not to make this sound depressing but, who is supposed to pay for this. If you don't remember, let me remind you that we are... Well, we are broke." Nikki comments.
     "Here, take this" she says, signing a blank check. "Just write in the total- don't worry about how much it costs either. Maybe pick up a couple things for yourself."
     "You didn't have to do that" I say, accepting the check with gratitude.
     "Well, dress warm, it's cold today."
     "Pick me up a box of 223 will ya son? I got a damn wolf to take care of." Tom adds slapping a twenty down on the table for Nikki.
     "No problem" he replies, slipping the bill in his pocket.
     "You could also go with a 5.56, it would do the job and you could save ten bucks." I chime in.
     "Boy..." Tom says, looking at Nikki. "Stick with this lady here." he pointed at me. "She knows what the hell she's talking about." I smile at his comment. "Whinchester would be fine, thanks kid." he tells me.
    "Also take these" Nona said, handing Nikki an envelope.
    "What's this?" he asks.
     "Coupons."

     We borrowed Tom's truck and Nikki drove us into the downtown area. We stopped at this cute little store that sold clothes, bags, mugs and dishes, and even decorative cigarette trays. I was thinking about getting the black crystal tray for Mick but then realized... I don't have any money..  I should probably get another job. Maybe Nikki can consider one too. I roll my eyes to myself. "Isabelle!"
     "What! Why are you yelling at me?" I scold.
     "Don't snap at me! I was just trying to get your attention.. Fuck." He says softly.
     "I'm sorry, what's up Nik."
     "I was thinking about getting this for Nona." he says, showing me a silver necklace.
     "Oh yeah that's nice" I say then go back to browsing.
     "Is there something you want to talk about?" he says, picking up his voice.
     "Do you have anything you need to tell me?" I say picking up mine as well.
     He lowers his voice "We can talk about it later." He walks away from me. I feel a bit of unease as Nikki's words hang in the air. After a while, Nikki returns, his face adorned with a forced smile. "I think I found the perfect gift for Nona" he says, showing me a ceramic tea set "What do you think?"
     "Oh that's pretty" I reply, genuinely impressed by his choice. "She'll love it."
     Nikki's smile softens, and he takes my hand, squeezing it gently. "C'mon." When we get back to the truck there's an unintentional silence. The radio plays quietly in the background as we drive down Main street. He coughs "Is there.. Um any place you want to see.. While we're here?" he asks nervously.
     "We can relive that stop light parade that we were both supposedly at" I remark.
     "That shit was so fucking stupid." Nikki laughs. "It's really hard to believe that we were so close yet so far away." he laughs again.
     I didn't want to tell him but I can't keep it in anymore "I remember you, Nikki.." I cut him off. An unreadable expression washes over his face, and he reaches over to turn the radio off.
     "I know you do. I remembered you too. It just took a while to realize it." His response left me speechless. I didn't know what to say or if to say anything at all.
     "Did- did we ever actually meet?"
     "No, but I remember seeing you cooking in the kitchen with my grandma from the window outside while I was playing with my friends."
     "I remember seeing you playing outside."
     "So like.. Does that mean we have to get married now?" He jokes.
     "The separated childhood friends reunite after traveling back to their hometown realize it's the same and that they were always meant for each other kind of bullshit?" I laugh.
     "Exactly." He giggles.
     "We'll see how the rest of the year works out then I'll decide if I say yes." We both softly laugh.
     We went to the market and supply store and picked up everything we needed, and headed back to the house. "Got everything I asked for?" Tom  asks playfully.
     I chuckle and hand him the box of ammunition. "Here you go. The good stuff, just as you requested."
     He grins, taking the box and inspecting it. "You're a reliable one, Isabelle. I appreciate it."
     "No problem." I smile.
     "You were a little late for lunch, sandwiches are in the fridge, darlings." Nona acknowledges.
     "Beers are in the shed." Tom shouts from the other side of the room.
     "Ah, a special beer shed just for me" Nikki replies.
     I whisper in his ear "Hey, get me one too."
————————————————————