Fifty Sixx

We woke up peacefully that Christmas Eve morning, yet to speak about the fact that he has known the whole time we knew each other when we were kids. I swear every day the plot thickens.  I want to be angry with him right now but he looks so cute in a Santa hat. I helped Nona bake a casserole and I made cinnamon rolls from a special recipe my mom used to have. We all squeezed into the truck to which I had to sit on Nikki's lap due to a lack of seating. Nona wasn't exactly pleased with the way Nikki put his hands on my thighs but Tom just laughed at her anger, easing the tension. Arriving at a home closer to Twin Falls. "Merry Christmas!" Nikki cheers walking into the house. Everyone gets up to greet him, surprised that he returned home for the holidays. "Hey guys, nice to see you. Isabelle, this is my Uncle Bob and Aunt Harlene" he introduces me. "Do you guys remember John and Linda.. Helter?"
     "Are you John's girl?" his uncle asked in amazement.
     "Yep.. that's me.." I smile nervously. Who knows what kind of impression my parents made on these people while they were here.
     "Oh, I remember those two, good people." Harlene awed. I nodded knowing that is nowhere damn near the truth. "How are your folks?" she asked.
     "Uhhh-"
     "Let's talk about that later, Iz let's get something to drink." Nikki smiled, pulling me away from the crowd.
     "Well, that got awkward really fast." I tightened my lips.
     "You can say that again." he said, pouring punch into a solo cup for us both. He took a sip and spit it right back out.
     "Nikki, what's wrong?"
     "There's no booze in this." he says, pulling out a flask from under his belt. I roll my eyes in response to his comment.
     "Always prepared, aren't you?" I chuckled, taking the flask from his hand and pouring a small amount into my solo cup.
     "Nikki!" I heard a young voice shout.
     "Hey there's my girl!" he smiles bending down and picking up a girl no older than 6. "Raylene, this is my girlfriend, Isabelle."
     "Hi Raylene, you look so pretty!" I said complimenting her festive outfit.
     "Hi Isabelle!" she smiled. "Can we go play Nikki?"
     "Sure pumpkin" he said, putting her down.
     "Pumpkin? You don't call me pumpkin." I playfully frown but am also kind of jealous.
     "No but I do call you other things" he smirks walking away with Raylene in hand. Damn..

     The night went on like any other kind of holiday party. A few questions arose during dinner about Nikki's choice to change his name, which he quickly shut down. Then questions came up about me, which he also shut down. I didn't really want to talk about it anyway, if I did I might have torn Nikki's head off out of anger. After eating, talking, and helping clean up, Nikki pulled me aside. We found a quiet corner of the house and sat on the couch, away from the prying eyes and curious questions. I took a sip of my drink and sighed in relaxation. Nikki leaned closer to me, his voice quiet "I know you're still angry with me for keeping... all this from you" he began, his voice filled with sincerity. "But please understand, there were reasons I couldn't tell you. It wasn't easy for me either."
     I cleared my throat "I understand why you may have not wanted to tell me but I can't understand why you couldn't tell me."
     "I-" he sighed. "I thought you would be pissed."
     "What the fuck do you think I am now?" I asked quietly but with a high-pitched voice.
     "Full of love and Christmas spirit?" he asks nervously.
     I blink in response. "I do love you. I just wish you would have told me all this when we first met. We probably would have gotten along so much better in the beginning."
     "Well, that's why I avoided you so much!" He defended making the connection. He reached out and gently took my hand in his, his touch comforting and reassuring. "I know I messed up, Iz," he admitted, his voice laced with regret. "But I want you to know that you mean the world to me. I've never stopped caring about you, and I never will."
     I sighed, feeling some of the weight of my anger slowly melting away. "Nikki" I sigh and pause. "Do the locks work in the bathroom?"
     "Yeah, why?"
     "Because we haven't had sex since we got here and I'm getting antsy, let's go" I say standing up and letting my hand out for him to grab. Nikki nodded understandingly and grabbed my hand, ready to go.
     Returning home, Nikki and I found ourselves alone, sitting by the twinkling lights of the Christmas tree. Nikki sighed. "What's on your mind?" I ask.
     "You. The guys. Just our lives." he says.
     "Anything in particular?"
     He looks down at me with his arm around my shoulder "How lucky I am." he smiles. He leans in for a kiss, me gratefully accepting.
     "Hmm look at that. It's past midnight already." I mentioned getting a glimpse of Nikki's watch.
     "Well it is ain't it" he says looking at it too. "In that case, Merry Christmas pumpkin."
     I smile wildly, blushing at the use of 'pumpkin'. I lean in to kiss him"Merry Christmas Nikki."
     He pulled away from the kiss "Keep that up and we'll have to do a repeat of what we did in the bathroom" he smiled, me laughing.
     "You can't ever get enough, can you?"
     "Not when it comes to you." Smooth talkin' son of a bitch ain't he?  "So now that it's officially Christmas, can I get my present?"
     "You'll get your present when you put on the cute family Christmas pajamas that I bought with your Nona." I smile getting up, knowing he'll hate that.
     "The what!?"
     "Matching Christmas PJs" I smile mischievously.
     "Over my dead body!" he responds.
     "Then I won't flash you when you're on stage anymore!"
     "Noooooo I like your boobies!" he whined.
     "Stop screaming 'boobies' you weirdo" I smile.
     "Boobies!"
     "Stop" I laugh.
     "Booooobieeeeees!" He begins chasing me around the living room as we go back and forth, eventually chasing me into the bedroom where we both fall onto the bed. We eventually cut the horseplay and snuggle up, holding each other tightly. "Goodnight Isabelle."
      I tuck my head into his neck "Goodnight Nikki."
————————————————————