Chapter Sixxty Three

Tommy drove Nikki and me home after my shift at the club. I was already drained and looking to go straight to bed. Nikki didn't want to go to bed yet- he reminds me of a toddler that just had a temper tantrum from exhaustion but refuses to take a nap. "Can you please just come to bed?"
     "...mm no"
     "For the LOVE OF GOD! Nikki, please." I pout.
    "...    ... no"
    I groan dramatically. "Do you always have to be this difficult when you're drunk?"
    "Yes." he nods.
    I resort to guilting him into bed "Please don't make me go to sleep alone, Nikki..." I say sadly. He shot his head around, facing toward me. It always works.
     "Ok, I'm sorry sweetie." He said apologetically. I hid my smile behind a fake frown and watched as he stripped down to his boxers before crawling into bed next to me. I pulled him onto me, resting his face on my chest. He dug his head in between my arm and tightly wrapped his around my body. I used my hand to scratch the back of his head, putting him right to sleep.

     Waking up the next morning I gently untangled myself from his grasp, slipped out of bed, and made my way to the kitchen to start brewing some coffee. I began making my homemade sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwiches for myself and Nikki. Everyone loves them. Nikki was still in bed so I grabbed a tray and carefully arranged a plate with the sandwich and a cup of coffee with a splash of milk, just how he likes it. The soft morning light filtered through the curtains as I entered the room, casting a warm glow on Nikki's sleeping body. I couldn't help but smile at the sight. Placing the tray on the bedside table, I sat down on the edge of the bed and lightly brushed my fingers through his hair, waking him up gently. "Nikki, wake up, sleepyhead," I whispered, my voice filled with affection. He stirred, slowly opening his eyes and blinking away the remnants of sleep. Then came the over-dramatic stretch and yawn.
     A surprised smile spread across his face as he took in the sight of the breakfast tray before him. "You made breakfast in bed for me?" he asked, his voice laced with gratitude, and grabbed the plate. "What's next, a blowjob?" he asked with a full mouth.
     "Is that all you think about?"
     He swallowed his food "Yep." and took another bite.
     I sigh at his utter stupidity "Anyway.. I want to look for a new car today. I'm sick of being driven around, borrowing people's cars, and car rental is getting expensive, so we need to dip into our savings a little.
     "How much dipping are we doing here?"
      "If we want a new '82 model we are looking at at least fourteen thousand easy." I curl my lips.
     "Do we even have ten thousand dollars combined?"
    "No." I reply honestly. "But we can finance it... take out a loan... my credit isn't ruined yet so I think we'll have luck with the bank if we try."
     Nikki paused for a moment, considering the idea. He finished his breakfast sandwich and took a sip of his coffee before responding. "I guess my next question is, do we really have a choice?"
     "No. We need a car."
     Nikki sighs. "Can I give you one reason why I think we don't need a car?"
     "You can start speaking but I won't hear anything..." I responded.
     "Fine." He says getting up and walking away.
     "Hey, where are you going?" I stand up.
     "I figured it would be easier to just rob a bank instead of talking to those jag-offs at the bank." he replies putting on some pants.
     "Oh come on Nikki... why do you think we can't get a loan?" I run my hand down his arm.
     "Let me tell you how that conversation will go, ok?" His voice goes deep- "Hi, how can I help you today?" His voice switches high- "Well we're here to get a loan!" "Oh, are you married?" "Nope!" "So you both want a loan?" "Yep!" "Well, what are your professions?" "Well he's a lowlife band that does shows on the strip on the weekends and she's a stripper! So do you think we can get that loan now?" He then stops the voices and sighs looking back in my direction. "We don't have a stable income sweetie... and they sure as shit won't take a chance on someone who looks like me, no matter how good your credit is."
     I stay silent, arms crossed and eyes staring directly at him. I smack my jaw "Ya know all I got out of that is we should get married and I should go alone. So." I shrug my shoulders. "Also, I'm not a stripper... I'm a bartender... at a gentleman's club..."
     "You're a bartender, a waitress, a private dancer- fuck what else are you now? An escort?" he raises his voice.
     I gasp in shock at his assumption "How DARE you!!"
     "I'm sorry I'm sorry- I didn't mean it..." he frustratedly apologized. He pulled me into a hug thinking just because he smells really good and... looks really good... and fucks really good- WHATEVER! That doesn't make everything go away! Aside from the fact that it totally does, it doesn't mean I'm not mad. "What I meant to say is that we probably don't have the best of luck right now." Nikki had a point, even if his delivery was harsh. Our financial situation wasn't exactly stable, and trying to secure a loan for a car would likely be an uphill battle. As much as I hated to admit it, he was right about the assumptions people might make based on our unconventional occupations.
     Reluctantly, I untangled myself from his embrace and took a step back. "Okay, maybe getting a loan isn't the best option for us right now," I conceded, my voice tinged with disappointment. "But we can't keep relying on others for transportation indefinitely. We need a more permanent solution."
     Nikki sighed, running a hand through his disheveled hair and leading us into the living room. "I know, babe. I get it," he said with a hint of resignation. "It's just frustrating, you know? Feeling like we're stuck in this cycle, always scraping by."
     I flop onto the couch, feeling almost defeated "I know, Nikki. Trust me, I feel it too," I replied, my voice softening. "Then what the hell do we do?"
     He sat beside me "Weeee can start begging on the street for money?"
     I turned my head in silence glaring at his forest eyes. "Id actually begin selling my body before begging for money."
     "Then I'll see you on the corner tonight!" He kissed my forehead and walked away.
     "Hey!"
—————————————————————