Chapter 114 - Green Eyed and Other Monsters

Ronan

Whoever designed this haunted house ride is a sadist who knows their stuff

It's simple, really; it's a house made up of five stories, built over a train track that gradually spirals up to the top, with a few sudden dips and rises along the way to make the travellers' stomachs drop through their bums.

The four cars travelling through this freaky roller coaster look like various parts of a skeleton. There's a skull, a pelvic bone, a piece of a rib cage, and Willow and I get to ride in the palm of a bony hand. The cars can only hold two passengers each, and they leave the start at intervals so that there's always only one car on either track (going up or coming down) per floor at any given time. Though they cannot see each other, the passengers can all still hear everybody's screams loud enough to add to the terror.

It's pretty cool. 

Hunter always complains that the car travels too slowly, except the few times when it suddenly plunges down into darkness. It really isn't all that slow; it is just slow enough for the passengers to get the full impact of whatever scary special effects there are on each floor but too fast to see any details that could destroy the illusion.

The fact that Hunter volunteers to ride with me when nobody else can or wants to (it's more fun when someone rides with you, but I'll go alone if I have to) is proof of just how awesome a friend he is. I usually try to get him out of it, not because he turns the ride into a creepy version of Lovers Lane, but because I think the whole thing hits way too close to home for the guy. None of us could ever really understand what he went through and is still going through.

On the surface, he comes across as a well-adjusted, self-assured, annoying hunk of laughs, but I know that it's not all he is. Hunter is a lot more sensitive than most people realise, and he cares way too much about others.

When Willow eagerly jumped at the chance of riding the Haunted House with me, and Hunter got that amusing freaked-out look on his face and hurried to say that he'll ride with her, I thought it was because he, like me, expected her to close her eyes and cling to me screaming all the time... the way Hunter always does, but she is not doing that at all. Riding the haunted house car with Willow is surprisingly fun. 

During this last week, I've started to realise that she is not as stiff and serious as I thought she was the first time I met her. She is pretty witty and very sweet and exactly what Drake needs in his life. I would never mess with that, even if I did actually stand a chance.

I only saw the tail end of last night's crazy situation, but Paisley teased the girl enough today for me to figure out what went down, and I'm a little sorry that I missed out on the fun. Just a little bit. I have a girlfriend, and she will kill me for allowing even just my thoughts to stray from her too much. Besides, I feel bad for Willow. All of this must be very strange and new to her; she didn't need that episode to make it even worse. I'm glad she's not completely spooked and withdrawn again now.