𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆ | lives different, | ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆
lives intertwined

real life | barranquilla, colombia
the rivera rental house
- july 16th, 2022

THE COOL BREEZE of the night in Colombia hit the tears that streamed down Sophia's cheeks, sending cold shivers down her body. She wiped her cheeks before hugging her knees on the balcony of rental house.

It was almost 1:00 in the morning and Sophia had snuck out of bed with Laila and Minnie to just sit outside. When they got back from the dinner, Andrew had offered to Laila and Minnie to take the couch. That was after Sophia had already ran into Laila and Minnie's room to finish crying.

"Why the tears, mi Luna?" Sophia felt a sob rising through her throat when she heard her grandmother's voice. Luna sat in the chair next to the blonde, wrapping an arm around the girl.

"Andrew and I broke up today." Sophia whispered as tears filled her eyes again, blurring her vision.

"Oh," Luna's eyes widened before rubbing her grand-daughter's back. "I'm sorry, mi amor. I was rooting for you two. I had faith. He was really in love with you."

"Yeah, well, he broke up with me, so clearly not that much," Sophia scoffed before Luna gave her a look. The blonde sighed, continuing, "He said we're too different. I'm twenty-five. I'm too young."

"You've been having to act like an adult since you were eighteen years old." Luna replied.

"I know," Sophia nodded slowly. "He wants to get married soon and he wants children soon."

"And you?" Luna asked. "What do you want?"

"I knew I wanted to marry Andrew since February," Sophia admitted, resisting the urge to smile at the thought. "And I'll gladly have children sooner then later— I've wanted to be a mother since I was a teenager! I can figure out how to balance that with my career. Every actor who's a parent does that. I want that! I want everything with him!"

"And you didn't tell him that?" Luna asked.

"I tried, he wouldn't listen." She mumbled back, shaking her head.

"Sophia, you are Rivera— You are a Luna. We make people listen. Women— we make men listen," Luna gave the girl a stern look, reminding her with a small smile. "Because otherwise they wouldn't hear us a lot of the time."

"I don't know, Abuela." Sophia shrugged, wiping her tears.

"I met your grandfather when I was eighteen years old. I loved him immediately," Luna explained softly as a lovesick grin rose to her lips at the thought of her husband. "He was obsessed with me, of course, who wouldn't be? We married a year after dating, I was nineteen and he was twenty. He was still in university, and I wanted to study to be a teacher, but we did it anyway because we loved each other. Because I knew he was the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I wanted him by my side as I got old, him as the father of my children, the grandfather of my grandchildren. I knew that at eighteen years old."

"The truth is, mi Luna, there are so many relationships in this world that don't work out. For so many reasons. Age gaps and different stages of life are 3% of those reasons," Luna continued as she ran her hand through Sophia's long hair. "Those two things don't have to go hand in hand. When you find the love of your life, you are the same stage of life naturally because you are there together. The universe puts you there at the same time for a reason."