Chapter 4: Typings, Stones, Gimmicks, Oh, My!

"Well, I started a new school..." Augustus began as his mother nodded. "And, well...as you can see..."

His Bulbasaur sat down on his haunches, looking up at the Gourgeist and Johanna curiously. Johanna smiled in response, her lips curling up into a soft smile. "Hello, little one."

"Gour...Gourgeist..." Gourgeist said softly as the Pokemon looked down at the Bulbasaur.

"It's okay, buddy," Augustus said. "That's my mom and her partner."

Bulbasaur took a tentative step forward and sat down to look up at Johanna, who turned back to Augustus. "You have a partner."

"Did you already know? I wanted it to be a surprise," Augustus mumbled softly, looking down.

"Don't worry, my dear boy." Johanna took his hand and squeezed it gently, still wearing her smile. "Zander told me about the attack. You handled yourself gracefully. You two are natural partners."

"He did?" Thasiel asked. "Augustus didn't talk about it to me."

"Well, Thasiel..." Johanna gestured to her son proudly as she turned to the butler. "Augustus went toe to toe with a Crustle and a Team Maple Grunt and won. The Professor's Nidoking helped, but Augustus stood his ground."

"He did?" Thasiel's eyes were wide as he went over to Augustus and hugged the boy gently. "I'm so glad you're safe. One day, I hope we get to battle."

"Oh, that reminds me..." Augustus drew out his Pokedex and held it up to the Gourgeist.

"Gourgeist, the Pumpkin Pokemon. A Grass and Ghost type, and the evolved form of Pumpkaboo. It uses its arms to bind its prey. As they struggle, it sings a happy song."

Gourgeist made a small chirping noise as she scooped up Augustus's Bulbasaur gently. The three humans smiled at the interaction as Thasiel's Pangoro went over to join them.

"I'm very happy you picked a Grass type. I'm partial to them, as you know." Johanna laughed. "Well, as it is, my boy, I have a gift for you."

"A gift?" Augustus asked, raising an eyebrow as his mother. Johanna nodded and set her bag down onto the table, before reaching inside it and removing three boxes. They were each of varying sizes, and Johanna arranged them neatly in order. She opened the first one, and Augustus gaped.

A golden watch was set inside a velvet interior, gleaming in the light. Johanna gently took it out and handed it to Augustus, helping him clip it around his wrist.

"Mom...what's this?" Augustus asked as he turned his wrist around.

"A gift from your father, before everything happened," Johanna said softly. "It's yours now. He asked me to give it to you."

As Augustus examined the watch and looked between it and his mother, noticing her eyes becoming slightly watery. "Mom, take a deep breath, okay?"

"Gour..." Johanna's Gourgeist made a worried noise as it looked over at the three of them.

"Don't worry, Gourgeist. I'm fine, I'm fine," Johanna reassured her partner as she raised a hand, using her other hand to wipe her face.

Augustus sighed. Johanna had informed him his father was long-dead. She told countless stories of him, how kind he was, how he'd helped Johanna through the toughest of spots. And then he passed away. Cancer had taken his life, and left Johanna with a hole in her heart and Augustus without a father. Thasiel had been the next closest thing.

"Anyways, if I may continue," Johanna said as she reached for the next box. "Take a closer look at the watch, Augustus."

Augustus turned it around again to look at the face of the watch again, and he found what appeared to be a hole in the watch. "What the..."