Chapter 9: Through The Fire And Flames!

"Are you two going to join us?" Augustus asked as he looked over at Lillian and Yancy.

"Well, why wouldn't we?" Lillian asked as she joined Augustus's side, Yancy following with a small grunt. "We're ordered to protect you, technically."

"Alright then. You two ready?" Augustus asked as he looked down at his partners, both of whom chirped in assessment. "Alright then! Off we go!"

And he began to set off towards the reinforced structure as Lillian explained a few things to him. "Okay, first thing you gotta know, Gyms are hard. Each Gym has a challenge, as well as some other trainers you gotta beat before you challenge the Gym Leader. If you beat the Gym Leader, they'll award you with the badge. Get enough, and you'll be able to challenge the Elite Four."

"How many Gyms are there?" Augustus asked.

"Fourteen, one for each type, not counting the Elite Four," Yancy said with a small sigh. "This is going to take a little while."

"Aw, don't be a sourpuss!" Lillian said cheerfully. "Plus, we can use the badges to take part in the Undula Conference later this year!"

"You might need to explain it to me after, because it seems like we're here," Augustus said as he stopped in front of the double doors. The steel structure was intimidating to him, and he returned both his partners before pushing open the doors and walking inside.

The room was warm and smelled like peppermint, and Augustus walked forward to the reception desk in front of him. "Um...excuse me, I'm here to challenge the Gym Leader?"

The woman looked up at him with a smile. Her hair was braided neatly down her back, and she wore a sharp red fleece jacket. "Another challenger! Good, good! Door on your left, dear-Miss Lillian! Good to see you again!"

"I left for about ten minutes, Lisa," Lillian said with a smile.

The woman, Lisa, nodded. "Ten minutes is a bit much without seeing your face, eh? Well, honey, you can come in, so can your friend, but-door to the right. No helping."

Lillian nodded, taking Yancy's hand, and the two went off. "Bye, Augustus! Kick some butt for us!"

Augustus smiled and pushed open the door to the left, stepping forward. He was almost immediately accosted, however, by an older man off to the side, and jumped slightly.

"Hmm, a new challenger!" The man said pointedly, adjusting his glasses with a grin. "Well, then! Let me explain a few things to you, since you're new around here!"

"Um...alright..." Augustus nodded, waiting for the man to begin.

"Firstly, this challenge involves the volcano! You gotta solve three different puzzles to move different platforms in order to get around the lava. Second, there are two Gym trainers you have to beat before moving onto Miss Clarisse, and if you beat her, you get the badge. Sounds simple enough?"

Augustus nodded, and the man gave a courteous bow, before stepping backwards. "Well then! Welcome to the Magloss Gym!"

Augustus stepped forward past a pair of stone pillars, and the platform he was on immediately shifted forwards. He yelped as he arrived in front of what appeared to be a large box on a small platform. Several cubes rested inside it, each with different shapes, and a lever sat behind it.

Augustus went to pull the lever, and it didn't budge. He snorted, returning to stand in front of the puzzle, and moved one of the cubes, before pausing.

It was as if the shape formed itself in his mind, and he knew exactly what to do, like it was some sort of future moment. One block shifted, another, another, and the puzzle was complete. A fire emblem rested in the center of the completed puzzle, and Augustus tried the lever again.