Chapter 5: Experience in Battle!

Ashley set the papers down and gestured for everyone to stand up and follow her outside.

"Where are we going, Miss?" Yancy asked as they walked out the side of the building to some sort of field.

"Well, as it is...I want you all to see firsthand how moves interact with each other on the battlefield. See, due to the typing of Pokemon and their moves, some are not very effective or super effective against one another. Now...I have a volunteer for today. Miles, honey, would you mind introducing yourself?" Ashley asked, turning to look at another boy Augustus realized was standing at the other end of the field.

The boy was short and blonde, wearing a school uniform like Augustus and the others. His eyes were a bright, shining gold, and he waved happily. "Hi! I'm Miles. I'm apparently here to give you all a demonstration!"

He was certainly energetic, Augustus noted. He hopped from foot to foot excitedly as he looked over Ashley's class. Yancy gave a small snort, raising his hand. Ashley pointed at him, and he spoke.

"Excuse me, but can I ask...he looks younger than us. How are we supposed to learn from him?" Yancy asked.

Miles answered quickly. "Well, I can show you! See, I'm working my way through the gym challenge currently. Mom, can we start off now?"

Ashley nodded with a smile. "Of course. Let's go, then. Umbreon, my dear, do you want to go?"

Ashley's Umbreon nodded and walked over to one side of the field in front of them, and Augustus finally realized what he was staring at.

It was a battlefield.

As he and the others watched, Miles went to the other side, drew out a black and yellow striped Pokeball, and tossed it out.

A blue Pokemon resembling some sort of beetle settled on the field. It had wide yellow eyes, two large antennae, and a giant blue horn extending from its forehead in a two-pronged point. Augustus immediately whipped out his Pokedex, and from the rustling from Lillian beside him, he could tell she was doing the same.

"Heracross, the Single Horn Pokemon. A Bug and Fighting type. With its Herculean power and strong horn, it can easily throw around an object a hundred times its own weight."

Augustus put it away as Ashley stepped in front of the students and began to speak.

"Now, today is a demonstration of moves and how their typings work. Umbreon here is a Dark type. Which means what?" Ashley asked.

Lillian's hand shot up quickly, and Ashley pointed at her. "It means that he takes super effective damage from Fighting type moves!"

"Correct!" Ashley nodded. "Here we demonstrate the power of moves. For example, Miles's Heracross knows the move Close Combat. Usually that move would do good damage, but against a Dark-type like Umbreon, it would do double that."

"Okay, Umbreon!" Miles called. "Brace yourself!"

"Breon!" Umbreon nodded, digging its paws into the ground.

"Close Combat!" Miles yelled, and Heracross rushed forward, slashing at Umbreon.

The beetle's claws swiped at Umbreon, digging into its fur. Several people gasped as the Pokemon was sent tumbling across the field, before standing up with a huff. Heracross slumped forward slightly, panting heavily. The blue beetle began to glow slightly, a blue aura hanging around it.

"Now, as you can see, Umbreon took super effective damage from the Close Combat. However, some moves can also benefit or hurt the user. Close Combat is a high power move, yes, but it lowers the defense and special defense of the user," Ashley explained.