Chapter 6: A Family Bonding Experience

Augustus couldn't wait for Saturday to arrive. He felt jittery by the time it did, and he was practically hopping around with joy as Thasiel drove him, Bulbasaur, Lillian, and Torchic to Yancy's place to pick up the blonde boy.

They stopped by Yancy's place, a surprisingly big mansion painted a dark color. Yancy emerged from the gate, his Popplio hopping beside him. He nodded to both of them as he got into the limo. "Hello, you two. How are you?"

His tone was surprisingly exhausted, and Lillian looked concerned as she answered. "Fine, but...Yancy, are you okay? You sound tired."

"I'm fine," Yancy said, looking irritated and waving her off. "I just did a lot of training. Nothing to worry about."

"I'm fine," Augustus said in response, not choosing to point out his concerns due to Yancy's reaction. "You?"

"Well. Again, just training," Yancy said.

"Pop, pop!" Popplio chirped, clambering into Yancy's lap. His hand settled over the creature almost protectively. Augustus drew out his Pokedex to scan Popplio with it.

"Popplio, the Sea Lion Pokemon. A Water type. It snorts bodily fluids to produce balloons it can use to attack."

Augustus nodded, before turning it to Lillian's Torchic.

"Torchic, the Chick Pokemon. A Fire type. It has an internal flame sac underneath its fur. Give it a hug, and you'll feel warm."

Augustus put down the Pokedex. "How have you and Popplio been getting along, Yancy?"

"Wonderful, surprisingly," Yancy said. "She and I are already close. You two?"

"Torchic and I are best buddies!" Lillian said, and Torchic cheeped happily.

"Bulbasaur and I are great," Augustus confirmed with a nod. "Also, Yancy, your Popplio's a-"

"A female, yes." Yancy nodded. "She is a good battling partner."

"Battles aren't all what they're for," Lillian said. "But we're rivals, so that's fair."

"Rivals, right..." Yancy muttered, although Augustus heard him. "Yancy, what do you mean?"

"I mean...my family isn't one for rivalry," Yancy explained in a clipped tone. "My family does things. We don't get involved in personal things like rivalries."

"Well, don't be like your family!" Lillian suggested. "Be like Augustus and I!"

Yancy said nothing, only shut his mouth and turned away. Lillian scoffed and waved him off.

It took them barely any time to get to the Amalthea Estate, a place surprisingly large, but Augustus was used to it by now. Delia was in front of the large house, and she had Chompers behind her. She waved to them as they exited the car, running over to them. "Hi, Augustus!"

"Hey, Delia," Augustus replied with a wave as she turned her gaze to Lillian and Yancy. "Oh, and you must be his friends! Hi, I'm Delia!"

"I'm Lillian! Good to meet you!" Lillian smiled as her Torchic chirped.

"Yancy Gates. Good to make your...um..." Yancy was cut off by Chompers' looming shadow as he examined them, leaning down to bump his scratchy nose against Augustus's, Lillian's, and Yancy's heads in greeting. "...thank you?"

"That's his way of saying hi! Don't worry about it!" Delia smiled as she gestured for them to follow her. An older woman opened the two doors for them, and Augustus gasped as they entered.

The living room was wide and neatly decorated, with a lot of furniture. Delia gestured around. "Welcome to my home!"

"Oh my god...it's so big..." Lillian gaped as she looked around.