24.) enemies to lovers to friends

"There's a lot I need to tell you."

"I'm listening." I sighed, pushing my back up against the wall.

"I never stopped loving you Jas."

My heart stopped beating in my chest as I stared back at him. His eyes never leaving mine. His eyes were a emerald color, but the glint that shined in them was now dark.

It used to be hard to stay mad at him, because he would always plead with his eyes. I could never say no to them. Or him. Who could?

But I'm not mad at him. I am hurt, and no amount of pretty eyes is going to mend a broken heart.

"Is that it?" I stared coldly back at him.

His eyes fluttered around the room, before landing back on me.

"I never did anything with Ari."

My gaze fell down to the sheets on the bed, gripping the dry material in my hand. Do I believe him? Do I tell him to fuck off? Tell him he's scum on the bottom of my shoe?

"It doesn't matter Jaxon."

Ari wasn't the only reason my heart was broken.

"And school? What about treating me like shit? What about not being there except when we were alone? You-my voice broke off from the tears threatening to break loose.

"You were embarrassed to be with me."

"Jas-

"Admit it!"

His eyes left mine, gazing at the floor like it was now the most interesting thing in the room.

"I was never embarrassed of you." His tone was soft like I had hit a weak cord.

"Then why did you embarrass me?" My tone was abrasive, but I didn't care. I'm hurt. Months later, and I'm still hurt.

"I- my- it's complicated Jasmine, but I do love you." His chin lifted, causing me to see his face.

His eyes watering around the rim, and his jaw tightened almost like he wasn't trying to keep his composure.

"What do you want? What do you think you're going to gain? My sympathy? My love?"

"I-I just want you to know that I am fully aware that I hurt you. I know I can't fix things overnight, but I want to try." His voice was wavering and I knew he was only minutes away from crying, but I don't understand why.

He and I were in love, but that all turned out to be a fantasy. He never loved me if he was willing to hurt me the way he did.

*knock*knock*

"Sorry to interrupt." The asian nurse walked in with some type of machine.

"Hi Jasmine, my name is Clarri. I am the nurse that will be taking your vitals. I promise this will only take one second. If all is well, then you're free to go home." She smiled.

"I'll be on my way then." Jaxon muttered, giving me a small smile before disappearing behind the door.

"Is that your boyfriend?" She smiled down at me, before placing my finger in some type of contraption.

I shook my head, letting out a deep sigh.

"Ooo, he is your ex boyfriend isn't he?"

I glanced up at her to see a wide toothy smile looking down at me.

"How did you-

"A sigh like that means you're tired of him." She giggled, before pulling my finger out of the machine.