That's Enough

Andy's POV

"Oh, it's so nice of you to have accepted my invitation, Andy, dear," Mrs. Williams said.

"It's no problem at all, Mrs. Williams," I said.

"I was afraid you would decline because of how rude Sophie was to you the last time we were all together. I really don't know where she got her rude attitude from. You know, she used to be the most well-behaved child. And now look at her..." She sighed. I clenched my jaw and wanted to say something, but the look Sophie was sending me was enough to know that it wouldn't be a good idea.

"Mom, do you need me to help you set the table?" She asked her.

"Oh, yes, dear. Thank you," she said to Sophie, "Maybe there's some hope for her yet, huh?" She nudged me and chuckled. I gave her a forced smile before saying: "Let me help you with that, Williams."

"You look about ready to kill," Sophie whispered when we were alone in the dining room.

"How are you so chill right now? We haven't even had lunch yet and she's already found multiple ways of tearing you down," I hissed.

"It's fine. We'll be out of here in a couple of hours," she said, kissing my cheek.

We returned to the kitchen to get the food. My mom was chatting away with Sophie's, so this time there was no danger of losing my cool over Linda's snarky comments.

We put everything we could on the table, but the turkey still needed a few more minutes.

"Mom, I'm gonna grab a cig while we wait," Sophie notified her mother.

"Sure, hon."

"Andy, you could join her," my mom suggested and subtly winked at her friend. I internally rolled my eyes at the obvious matchmaking attempt, but I wasn't going to pass up on an opportunity to be alone with Sophie anyway.

"Well, I'm here now. What are your other two wishes, Miss Williams?" I asked her when we were alone, putting my arm around her shoulders. She rose an eyebrow and then she asked: "Did it hurt?"

I already knew where this was going, so I played along. "Did what hurt?" I asked, smirking.

"When they dropped you on your head as a baby. There's absolutely no other explanation why your pickup lines are so bad, Biersnack," she rolled her eyes.

THE AUDACITY! I was almost insulted but then I had to start laughing. "A+ for creativity, Williams. But still, that was pretty rude, you know?"

"Don't you mean 'pretty damn gorgeous'?" She winked, flipping her hair in a very sassy manner.

"Always," I said, removing my arm as to not cause any suspicion.

We smoked our cigarettes and then went back inside. Our timing was impeccable because lunch was finally served. I was starving.

Sophie and I sat across from each other and played a game of who will make the other laugh faster. One of the unspoken rules was that nobody else was allowed to notice what we were doing.

We tried everything from crossing eyes, filling our mouths to the brim, and kicking each other under the table, to having intense eye contact and missing our mouths on purpose. It wasn't until she sneezed like a little woodland creature (that would be the best way to describe it) that I chuckled.

"Ha!" She mouthed at me, sticking her tongue out at me (subtly, of course), and I shook my head at her, smiling.

"Andy, your mom told me about the upcoming release of your solo album. When will we be able to hear it?" Sophie's mom interrupted our little exchange.