I Will Divorce You

"Happy birthday, sweetie. I can't believe you're 30 already. I remember giving birth to you like it was yesterday... 20 hours of contractions and pain..." Mom started reminiscing over the phone. I rolled my eyes, just waiting for her to mention her future grandkids, or lack thereof.

"Are you listening to me?" She asked. I pinched my nose and said: "Yeah, you said something about giving birth to me 30 years ago." She audibly sighed and told me that she asked me a question.

"Oh, sorry. What was the question?" I asked.

"I asked you when you were coming over for a visit. You and Andy should stop by for a birthday celebration."

"Oh, uh, we don't know yet. We booked the beach house until the 22nd. So, I can just call you when we get back to LA."

"Honey, are you forgetting that we're in Miami Beach with the Biersacks? You can just come over later today. Amy told us you're here too. It's perfect, isn't it?" Mom replied. Crap, it slipped my mind that this was their annual vacation time.

"Alright, we can visit after lunch. Is that okay?" I asked. Andy shot me weird look across our terrace table. I gave him a pained smile, shrugging apologetically.

"We'll see you later then. Love you," mom said in an overly sweet tone.

"Yeah, love you too. Bye," I replied and hung up.

"So..." Andy started.

"So... Uh, well, uh, yeah. We're visiting them later because they are all in Miami Beach. I completely forgot about their annual vacations. Why didn't you remind me?" I asked.

"Sorry."

"And why did you tell them we're here???" I asked.

"Because they're my parents. I'm sorry," Andy apologized.

"But now I have to spend my birthday with my parents, and I don't want that."

"Why didn't you just say that we had plans?" He asked.

"I completely blanked. Damn it. Ugh, let's just make the best of the day until then."

"Sounds like a plan. What would you like to do, birthday girl?" He asked me.

"First, let's finish this coffee in peace. Then we can go to the beach. How does that sound?"

"It sounds good. What would you like to do for lunch?"

"I don't know, maybe a tuna salad? Something light." I spoke.

"Your wish is my command."

"Cause I'm the birthday authority today?" I asked, amused.

"Exactly. Also, I have gift for you upstairs. Wait here," he said, leaving me alone.

He came back pretty quickly. He was holding a gift-wrapped box. "Happy birthday," he smiled and handed me the present. I unwrapped it and giggled excitedly. It was another Funko Pop. This time, he got me Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. "Is this just going to be our thing now? Funko Pops for birthdays?" I asked, smiling.

"Yes. Do you like it?" He asked, pointing toward the figure in my hands.

"I love it. Spike is my favourite character. Thank you very much." I kissed him when he sat down next to me.

"I love you," Andy smiled.

"I love you," I grinned.

We sat in comfortable silence while we rolled our cigarettes. "Are you up for a little bet?" I asked him after I lit mine.

"Always," he said.

"I give mom 40 minutes after our arrival until she mentions kids and the pregnancy rumour."