2: Truth

Chapter 2

Lorenzo "Enzo" Mikhail Vasiliev Di Luca is the eldest son of the former and currently missing Italian Mafia Don Luciano Di Luca and Oksana Vasiliev, daughter of the Russian Mafia Boss. Enzo's birth cemented the alliance and peace treaty between the feuding Italians and Russians. Enzo and his brothers grew up in a strict but loving big family, but being the eldest meant he held more responsibilities in his family and their mafia, and out of all the Di Luca brothers, Enzo was the only one who looked much more like his mother. They said that the Italian Mafia Heir looked more Russian than Italian, and many people in the underworld have mixed feelings about it.

But Enzo proved his worth both as a great Mafia Don and head of his family when several tragedies struck and befell his family: the death of his mother forced the sixteen-year-old Enzo to take responsibility for his younger siblings, and the sudden mysterious disappearance of his father and little sister forced the nineteen-year-old Enzo to take charge of the Italian mafia, making him the youngest Mafia Boss in the underworld, taking the title away from his uncle.

The now thirty-two-year-old Enzo Vasiliev Di Luca is known as a successful, billionaire corporate CEO in all of their legal businesses up front and as a powerful and dangerous Italian Don in the underworld. The Italian Don is known, respected, and admired by everyone as a handsome, bright, and noble man—the most illegible bachelor in the market—but his time seems to be solely focused on his family and work. Enzo seems to have it all and is regarded as perfect by everyone in every way.

They called Enzo The Protector and The Perfect, because that is how everyone outside his family would view him.

However, no one really knew the true, broken, and miserable life of Lorenzo Mikhail Vasiliev Di Luca except for him.

***

-Lorenzo Di Luca-

I just needed to sort four of these papers, and I'm all done for the day. The only agenda item I have left is the preparation for my Mamma's sixteenth death anniversary, which is in three days, so I have plenty of time to prepare for it. I need to sort it all out by then before my uncle gets all up in my ass again for being an irresponsible and forgetful son.

It's not like I intentionally forgot last year. How could I ever forget that day? That day that brought such great grief and such great blessing to our family at the same time? But the blessing is all but a distant memory now; the blessing disappeared, and the blessing has now turned into grief as well. Now that day is nothing but double grief and heartache, and how I wish to just forget all about it. That's why my brothers would find all kinds of excuses whenever that day was nearing so they wouldn't have to go and relive it, and I don't blame them at all. But I can't blame my uncle as well for wanting the whole family to remember and visit Mamma, his twin sister. And unfortunately for me, unlike my younger brothers, who can get away with escaping that day, being the eldest and head of the Di Luca family, I can't.

Besides, Uncle Ivan wouldn't hesitate to shoot me this time if I missed it again.

But that day isn't just meant for our madre (mother); it is also meant for our sorellina (little sister), our piccola principessa. (little princess)

I'm most certain that one day we will be able to find out the truth. I'm not a pessimist who believes that our family wouldn't be able to find the truth of what happened to our padre (father) and sorellina, but at the same time, I'm also not an optimist who still believes that we would be able to find the two of them alive and well. It has been thirteen years, after all. I'm a realist who believes in the hard and painful truth, and realistically speaking, it is just impossible for Papa and our sorellina to disappear without anything bad happening to them the day they left. Our padre is not that kind of man who would just disappear from his family and work with his three-year-old daughter to never be heard from again for thirteen years; something must have happened to the both of them and they died. That's the hard and painful truth that my other family members refuse to accept.