32: Friend

Chapter 32

-Isabella Di Luca-

I am still not feeling the whole vibe of school at the moment; I'm still scared, confused, and awkward to actually socialize with anyone, but I remind myself that this is only my first day; I've only been to three of my classes, and I don't know why, but the presence of Nicco seems to scare most kids away.

But it's going to get better. I really hope it does. I want to make friends and belong to a group like the rest of my schoolmates here. I want to be a normal student, even though I know I'm not. I just really want to belong.

It will just take time, but it's going to be fun and worthwhile soon. That's what Gio told me before we left for school. And I choose to believe my brother's words.

Nicco was called to the office for some reason, so I'm on my own for a while. He said that he would just message or call me on my phone after profusely apologizing and promising that no one would bother me. I think I'm starting to understand why the other kids were keeping their distance from me. I don't fault my big brother, though; he's just being sweet and protective.

I was placing some of my books in my locker, and when I closed it, I jumped to my feet in surprise, seeing the other person standing next to me, or more like towering over me like a giant. This person is definitely a familiar giant, though.

"Francis!" I almost yelled in glee.

My eyes widened, and my face turned all red like a tomato, when Francis suddenly gently took my hand and placed a soft kiss in it.

"Isabella, mia cara."

Oh my. How could his mere presence and gestures like this make my heart pound like crazy? My tummy feels fluttering and funny.

But never mind that, there's finally someone here in school who willingly wants to talk to me—my first ever friend!

"I thought my brother scared you the other day." I chuckled.

I'm happy he didn't get scared, though. Francis is not like the other kids in school who are pretty terrified of Nicco, and he really wants to be my friend. I'm definitely happy.

I know I'm being a bad girl for not following what Nicco told me to stay away from Francis, but then again, I remember Enzo telling Nicco one time that he doesn't want him to be crazy overprotective over me and that I can live my high school life to the fullest.

Plus, there's just something about the handsome and kind Francis that draws me over to him. I don't want to lose my very first friend, so I chose to ignore what Nicco told me last night.

"Nah. I'm used to scary siblings. My sisters are mean, and my brother can definitely be one scary dude." Francis smiles and shrugs his shoulders as if what he told me was the most normal thing ever.

It's sad that he doesn't get along well with any of his siblings. I know that feeling all too well, but at least I have Enzo, Gio, Nicco, and Kiri, while Francis was alone.

"Let me guess. That brother of yours, Niccolo, is it? He told you to stay away from me, huh?" He asked. My eyes widened, and I refused to speak, fearing that I might upset him or something.

But how did he know?

"That's okay, mia cara, you don't have to tell me, but I know. My brother told me to stay away from you as well. Apparently he was also told by one of your brothers." He chuckled while scratching the back of his neck and leaning his body against the lockers.

"One of my brothers? Nicco?" I asked as my eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I didn't know Nicco and Francis' brother were friends.

"No, your second older brother. He and my brother are pretty chummy with one another."