28: Father

Chapter 28

-Alessandro Di Luca-

I'm a sh*t of a human being. 

That much is pretty fucking obvious. I was always a menace in my own family because I couldn't fucking control my emotions and actions. I tried once with the help of my mamma, but since she died, no one has been there to tolerate my bullshit anymore, and frankly, I don't see the point of trying to control and change who I am anymore.

I mean, in the first place, for whom do I need to change myself? Why did I need to control my terrible emotions and actions?

I remember asking myself those similar questions when I was about fourteen or fifteen. For a while, I entirely forgot my answer, but now I think I am starting to remember it.

It was because of her.

La mia sorellina

Amongst my fratelli I was the first to know that we were having a baby sister. I was the happiest when Mamma told us the news of her pregnancy, and I actually prayed to a fucking God that he'd give me a sister. I remember being over the moon and shouting the good news in the whole mansion when my prayer came true. I even chose her name. I was the one who named her.

But my love and adoration for my sorellina changed and shifted into hatred and disgust the moment she was born into this world because of what I perceived as her fault.

But after what I heard from Giovanni, I don't know what to think anymore. I feel so fucking lost.

And for the first time in my fucked-up life, I didn't know what I wanted anymore.

So that's why I'm just helplessly lying here in the puddle of my own blood on Lorenzo's hardwood flooring as I let him punch the living shit out of me. I didn't fight back, defend myself, or even move. I was almost like a statue lying here with both my arms by my sides that was almost ready to break, accepting my fratello's wrath.

"Ti avevo avvisato, Alessandro! Ti avevo avvertito, cazzo!" (I warned you, Alessandro! I fucking warned you!) He screamed in anger.

I only get to see this side of my fratello when he's in front of the enemy. And now I am his enemy.

My body is probably screaming in pain, but for some reason my brain couldn't process or comprehend the pain I'm supposed to be feeling because it was just blank and so fucking lost all of a sudden.

I even fucking forgot why I returned here in the first place.

Everything finally came back to me, and I finally snapped back when, all of a sudden, Lorenzo pulled out his gun from its holster and aimed it just right between my eyes. My eyes widened, and fear enveloped my entire body, seeing just how much I fucking pissed off the mighty Don of the Italian Mafia. For the first time, I was actually shaking in fear, and tears were almost threatening to spill out of my eyes.

"Ti avevo avvertito di non ferire quella dolce ragazzina e ancora non mi hai ascoltato." (I warned you not to hurt that sweet little girl, and you still didn't listen to me.) He said in a low and dangerous voice that automatically sent shivers up my spine.

He's really not kidding, is he?

And even if, by some miracle, he doesn't kill me or I survive, Ivan, Kirill, and Giovanni are still going to hunt my ass down to kill me.

But as I looked at the barrel of the gun pointed towards me, I also finally started to remember why I returned to this fucking mansion in the first place.

I can't die just yet.

I swallowed down the fear and excruciating pain I was feeling as I opened my mouth to speak.