18: Tasks & Torture

Y/N's pov:

We arrived at the daycare after the long walk from Gator Golf, the bright pastels and goofy daycare music flooding my senses once again.

We went down the slide and landed in the ball pit as always, and soon we were back standing inside the large play area.

"So, what should we do next?! We could finger paint, tell stories, have a puppet show..." Sun rambled on and on about all the fun things we could do, but I got a notification on my faz-watch. I checked the screen, and it had a list of things I needed to do. It wasn't long, thankfully. It only had two items.

Tasks

• Send Moon to maintenance area for testing (0/1)

• Check Sun in Parts & Services (0/1)

"What is that?" Moon breathed next to me. I jumped back a little in surprise. His face was right next to mine as he tried to read my faz-watch. "It's just some tasks I have," I replied. "Ooh! What are they?" Sun asked as he skipped over. "Well, Moon has to go to the maintenance area for more testing," I said. I heard an agitated grumble from him. "Alright, then. I'll be back," he muttered as he ruffled my hair before leaving.

"Aww, Moony has to go," Sun whined. "But that's okay! We'll have just as much fun together until he comes back!" I chuckled a bit and checked my faz-watch again. "Sorry, Sun. We'll have to play after we get back. It also says I have to give you a checkup in Parts & Services," I said.

As soon as I said "Parts & Services", Sun's smile died. "Parts & Services? But I'm fine, I promise! There's nothing wrong with me! I'm in perfect condition!" he pleaded. I gently took his hand and patted it a little. "Sun, it'll be alright. I'm just gonna give you a quick checkup. After that, we'll be done until I have to do it again," I reassured him.

It took a bit more coaxing, but after a while, Sun finally agreed to let me give him a checkup. "It'll be fine, I promise," I said when we arrived.

I opened the protective shell and helped Sun sit down in the chair. He let out a small yelp as the chair fastened his arms and legs in place. "It's okay, that's just so you don't fall or anything," I said. "Oh," he replied with a nervous laugh.

I walked over to the computer just outside of the shell and opened it. There were options for maintenance, checkups, and upgrades, which one was available.

I selected the checkup option, and it took me to another page with a list of Sun's primary functions and codes. It was a lot to read, to say the least, but thankfully they were all displayed as 'EXCELLENT' in green letters. "Well that was easy," I murmured.

I re-entered the protective shell and freed Sun. "Are we done?" he asked. "Yep," I said. "All done," "Yay!" Sun cheered. "There wasn't anything wrong, so I didn't need to fix anything," I explained. "That's even better! Now we can go back to the daycare and have fun!" Sun said as he gently shoved me in that direction. He didn't seem to like this place very much.

We had just exited Parts & Services when I spotted Carl standing near a photo booth, and he saw me. "Shit," I cursed under my breath as he walked toward me and Sun. "Hey, Y/N! How's everything going?" he asked. "Good so far," I replied. "I just got done with Sun's checkup, and now I'm taking him back to the daycare," I said. I grabbed Sun's hand and tried to leave, but Carl wouldn't let me. Instead, he swatted Sun's hand away and grabbed mine, pulling me closer toward him.

"Since I have you here, I'd like to reschedule our little meeting we were meant to have," he said. I sighed. "Uh, it's been over two months. It might be a bit late to reschedule-" "Oh, nonsense," Carl interrupted. "I'm sure we can find a time that works for us,"