23: Square One

Y/N's pov:

I woke up and struggled to open my eyes. They were crusted shut from the tears I shed the previous day. Or two days ago. I don't know how long I was asleep, but I know I wasn't asleep for just an hour or two. Regardless, I needed to get up and find a job.

I checked my phone for any new notifications, but there was nothing. I shouldn't be surprised. I don't have anyone to text or call. I mean, there's Link, but he's probably busy searching for a new job as well.

I took a shower, brushed/combed my hair, changed out of my sludgy clothes, and headed out to my car to see if anyone was hiring. I didn't live in a huge metropolitan city, but it wasn't a tiny town, either. I had minimal hope of finding a good job anywhere, though. But I still had to try.

I drove out of my neighborhood and into town, keeping my eyes peeled for any signs, posters, billboards, or anything that might say something about a job opening in my field. I might be desperate for a job, but I'm not going to spend $300k+ for college. I don't have the funds or the time for that shit.

As I cruised through the downtown area, I saw plenty of shops and clothing stores with windows full of clothes and furniture, but nothing about any job openings. I drove by several fast food places and stores, but they didn't have any open spots either. I repeated this process with local banks, small businesses, and different kinds of stores, but I found nothing. I was about to give up entirely when I went to check out the hotels to see if they had anything promising.

There were quite a few hotels where I lived. I've been to at least six of them with my family when I was younger. I decided to stop inside one called Brass Veil Hotel to check if they had an opening or not.

I parked my car and walked inside, suddenly feeling a bit nervous. My social skills had improved quite a bit when I was working in the daycare, but I'm still not socially inclined.

When I entered the lobby, the welcoming scent of freshly baked bread and warm honey graced my nostrils. I walked up to the front desk, where a lady was working on a computer, and she looked up once she saw me. "Hello, and welcome to Brass Veil Hotel, how can I help you?" she said cheerfully. "Hi, I was wondering if you had any job openings available?" I asked, ready to cry from frustration. If this place didn't have anything for me, I don't know what I was gonna do.

The lady's face it up and she clasped her hands together. "YES! We have openings!" she nearly screamed. "We've been SUPER understaffed lately, and it has been one hell of a week, let me tell you that," She stood up and came in front of the desk. "We have plenty of positions open for you to choose from! I have a paper right here," she said, handing me a sheet of paper. I took it from her and skimmed through the list of jobs they needed people for. The front desk lady wasn't lying when she said they were understaffed.

They needed at least fifteen people in total, and that was to be fully staffed. There were seven openings for chefs, nine openings for room service, three openings for pool janitors, eight openings for caterers, and so on. "Oh, wow," I mused as I looked at the list. "I know, it's a lot," the front desk lady said. "We have some people taking over two spots at once to be able to keep things running somewhat smoothly," she added. "Of course, if you ever have to do that, we'll pay you $40 per extra job,"

That's all I needed to hear.

"I'll take the room service," I said. The front desk lady clapped her hands together excitedly and took the paper from me. "Thank you SO much! I'll put your name on the roster and get you into the system," she said, dashing back behind the desk to enter something on the computer. "By the way, what's your name?" she asked. "Y/N," I replied. "And last name?" "L/N,"

"Perfect!" the lady said, typing away. "I'm Janet, by the way," she shook my hand. "And if you don't mind, what's your clothing size?" Janet asked. "We have uniforms here, but if none of them are in your size, we'll have to order one as soon as possible," she explained. 

After giving her a few more necessary details, Janet clasped her hands together. "Alright, Y/N! I've got your information into the system," she said. "You can start on Friday this week at 5:30," I nodded. "Sounds good," I said. Janet smiled. "See you then, Y/N!" she said, returning to her original work.

I left the hotel, breathing a sigh of relief. The social interaction was over, and I was employed. It was a win/win. Then again, I signed up for room service, so I would have to deal with more people regardless. I wouldn't have to deal with that until Friday, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much. I drove home that night feeling accomplished.

887 Words smh 😒