14 - fathers

2.22 - THE NAME OF THE GAME

MATILDA SIPPED ON HER BEER WHILE SHE SAT IN THE BAR. She sat next to Derek as they watched the basketball game with the rest of the bar, looking at the man next to her every time her team would score against his. 

An annoyed huff from in front of them. Meredith was trying to knit a sweater and even though Matilda couldn't knit a sweater, she knew that her friend was doing it wrong.

"You know, as a friend, I got to tell you, you look a little weird," Derek called out from behind her after Joe had asked the pair of brunettes if Meredith was knitting in the bar.

"I am making a sweater."

"Sure you are, Mer." Matilda tried to support the girl while teasing her at the same time.

"You're scaring away my customers, that's what you're doing. Who knits in a bar anyway?"

"Just have a drink with us, Meredith." Derek egged her on.

"She can't she's celibate," Matilda smirks, suddenly sparking an interest within Derek.

"Celibate?  Do you mean sober? She means sober." Derek says turning to Joe and Matilda.

"No. Celibate. I'm practising celibacy, and drinking does not go well with celibacy, because it makes everything and everyone seem kind of porny. And then my head gets cloudy and I'm naked the next thing you know. And my point is, I'm celibate, and knitting is good for surgical dexterity, so I'm making a sweater."

"Is Porny even a word? And how can you do a perfect suture but can't even knit a sweater?" Matilda asks as she can see Derek's amused smirk in the corner of her eye.

"You, celibate? I don't buy it." 

"No more men." The blonde nods to the pair just as a certain redhead approaches the group.

"No more men? Really? You? And I'm asking because we are friends." 

"Every guy I meet turns out to be married." 

"Ouch." Derek winces as he pretends to put a hurt hand on his heart.

"Or a sluty dirtbag." Meredith refers to the interesting men who have asked her out, including Mark when he had arrived at the hospital.

"Amen to that." Matilda raises her beer bottle and takes a sip, Addison and Derek eying her carefully, making sure she doesn't spiral like she has done before.

"Or remember the horrible thing I did? Remember George?" 

"Okay, I understand. So you're making a sweater?"

"Making a sweater." Meredith nods as she turns back to the front of the bar to focus on her new project while the two friends return their attention to the game, Matilda ordering another beer.

A pounding headache, a loud alarm and a stranger in your bed is not a good way to wake up in the morning. Matilda realised this instantly as she tried to piece together what had happened the night before but failed. The blonde stranger groaned as Matilda finally rolled over to stop the alarm.