17 - new heart

2.26 - DETERIORATION OF THE FIGHT OR FLIGHT RESPONSE

2.27 - LOSING MY RELIGION

tw. mentions of gunshots

MATILDA WAS COMPLETELY FROZEN. SHE COULDNT BREATHE. Voices and bodies surrounded her but her mind was numb. The last thing she remembered was brown eyes and a gunshot.

"Jake?" She said quietly. Once hearing the sound of her own voice, all other noises came to her. The beeping of the heart rate monitor, the talk of surgeons around her, the arguing outside the door. Adrenaline began to pump through her and all of a sudden, the heart rate monitor began to pick up.

"Matilda... Jacob is fine. I need you to relax for me okay?" Dr Bailey put both hands on one of Matilda's and she finally took in her surroundings. She was lying on a gurney in a trauma room, hooked up to what felt like a hundred machines but was really only two or three. She looked down, her scrubs were soaked in blood and her hands were cold. When she went to look at her right hand, excruciating pain shot through her arm and into her shoulder, causing her to let out a yell. 

What she didn't notice was that her short yell silenced the yelling outside as the door to the trauma room slammed open, "You all need to leave." She heard Richard's voice boom to the protesting attendings. "Her lungs collapsed..." she heard another. Suddenly feeling overwhelmed, she began to sway slightly before her vision began to blur and everything started to go dark.

Memories flashed through her mind. Good and bad. Was she dreaming? or was it her life flashing before her eyes? She felt cold for a split second before feeling warm...

By the time she woke up, it was still dark, a clock on the wall telling her it was a quarter to 5. She was gonna be late for work. She quickly pushed herself up from her bed but let out another shout when pain shot through her arm.

"Hey, hey, hey... Relax Tills. You're okay you just need to sit back down," Derek told her as he helped her get back into a comfortable position.

"My arm..." She started, noticing that her words came out groggily.

"You were shot, Tilly. It's okay if you don't remember. We had to take you to surgery, there were no exit wounds. Burke had to operate."

"Where is Jake?"

"Jake is fine. Forced him to go to sleep in an on-call room. He hadn't slept since before he left to get the heart for the transplant." she nodded before he continued."We were all taking shifts, waiting for you to wake up. Me, Addi, Alex, Jake even Bailey."

"Why am I in the ICU? Was I that bad during surgery?"

"Yes, it was that bad. You lost a lot of blood and everyone was worried but you don't need to hear about that now. Just go back to sleep Tilly," She nodded as he spoke calmly and began to drift off once again.

When she woke up a second time, the sun was up and there was a new person next to her. Addison sat on the chair, writing in some charts and humming an ABBA song, reminding the brunette of when the two would sing in the car back in New York.