Chapter Twelve - Daella

I need to do better. It had been Prince Alvaryn and I had all but shouted in his face how much I hated him and all that he stands for.

What if he told someone? What if he took it to the King or the Advisor, the Mistress?

Everyday my temper would threaten to spill out, I do my best to keep it to myself but after that lesson it had been too much, the library was the first place I had thought of.

Maybe he wouldn't say anything. Maybe he would just ignore it or forget we had even spoken.

I pace in front of the fireplace in my rooms, my nightgown swishing around me as I turn quickly from one side to the other.

It was too late now either way. Would it really matter if he did say anything? Would anyone really care? Doubtful. All the other girls were fitting in, adjusting to all the rules and lessons, one out of twelve would probably mean very little to them.

As the days pass I try to forget the library incident, it takes a while to convince myself to return when I finish both books. The desire to get new books overshadows the fear Prince Alvaryn will be there again and I'll do something stupid.

I'll just go in, return the books and get a few more. In and out, I tell myself as I head back to the library, books in hand.

Prince Aeris comes around the corner and smiles at me. "Hello there Pet."

"Your Highness," I curtsy quickly, gripping my books tighter.

"On your way somewhere?" He asks stepping closer again, I take a step back smelling wine and something bitter, stronger.

"Yes, the library." I answer glancing around, we were just out of view of the closest guards and something about that felt dangerous.

"Ah," He looks down at the books, reaching out to take them from me before reading the covers. "Reading adventures are we, wanting to go out on your horse and cut down your enemies in battle?" He teases, closing the books and holding onto them.

"Not exactly." I reply.

He takes another step closer and I feel the wall behind me as I take a step back needing there to be more space between us, he was too close, even dancing left more space than we have now.

He smirks, holding the books behind his back. "I think you would fit in well on the battlefield, do you doubt your own abilities?" He asks, eyes wandering to my mouth and neck before finding my eyes again. How could someone's eyes be so dark, I had never seen anything like it, it was eerie, like all the colour had been sucked out.

"No, I just don't have all the training necessary to fare well on a battlefield."

"Well I'm sure that wouldn't take long to learn, I could train you personally if you like, how to wield a sword, how to throw daggers, fire a bow and arrow." He leans closer still and the scent of wine is stronger, his eyes glazed as he lifts his free hand, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. My body shudders in response and he grins wider at my reaction.

"Or maybe I could teach you something else, something less violent and bloodthirsty but extremely enjoyable in its own right." He says quietly as his fingers run along my jaw, I shiver as his fingertips skim along my skin turning it to gooseflesh. Heat curls in the pit of my stomach, the kind of heat I had never felt before. I don't let myself think about what he meant, of what he was offering or why my body seemed frozen in place yet is growing warmer by the second.

"I already have tutors, I'm not looking for another one." I reply, his fingers stop at my chin as his thumb traces the dimple there as he shifts my head so I am looking into his eyes, my neck craning at his height and he smiles, his face even closer to mine, any closer and I would be able to taste the wine on his lips.