Chapter Seventy Seven - Daella

The grounds are a mass of soldiers, horses whinny and stamp there feet while stewards run back and forth trying to get everything ready. Stable hands move from horse to horse fixing saddles while carts are being tied to their reigns.

The colours of the Wyndelle army uniform flit back and forth in front of me in dark green and gold as those that wear them seem to blend and blur around me.

The bark of dogs causes me to flinch and turn towards the noise as four large muscular dogs are led into the yard on leads with the kennel master holding them in his hand.

The day is here.

I didn't get enough time.

The days had disappeared with the blink of an eye.

I grip my hands tighter against my dress, forcing the threat of tears back and taking a steadying breath.

I knew this day was coming, had been given as much warning as possible. Still it didn't feel enough.

I turn again as someone in green and gold rushes past me and find Alvaryn and Aeris talking to Demwyn with Varis at his heels.

I wait, shallow breath and heart beating frantically.

I don't know how they had both managed to sleep last night with the knowledge that they would be leaving the following morning. Me? I had lain awake all night trying to remember the details of their faces, the way their hands felt in mine, the feel of their bodies in my bed.

I had done my best this morning before they both left my room to keep the tears and fear at bay, just holding both of them and kissing them. Then as soon as the door closed I had collapsed into a mess of tears and felt an ache in my chest that is still there now, pulsing with each beat of my heart.

Aeris moves first, striding towards me he wraps his arms around my waist and lifts me up before setting me back down.

"I will write as often as I can." He tells me, touching the necklace at my throat.

I nod, staring up into his dark eyes, trying to memorize their endless beauty.

His face turns serious as he looks down at me. "Just stay here, stay safe behind the palace walls. You can visit the pups for me. And before you know it I will be back and the rest of our lives can begin." He takes my face in his hands, his eyes once looking like a starry night sky now only reminding me of the darkest corners that hide terrible monsters.

"Don't do anything too reckless please, just come home." I say quietly, needing him to come home.

"You called it home." He smiles with surprise in his eyes and I nod.

"This will be our home." I tell him, willing myself to see the happy future and not the dark tortured one I try my best to ignore.

"Yes it will, I will make sure of it." He kisses me not caring who sees and what they will say and I am glad for it.

"I love you Aeris." I whisper against his mouth.

"I love you too my beautiful Daylight." Another kiss and he turns and walks towards Dagon. He whistles and the four hounds that sit at the kennel masters heel bark and rush to his side.

"My turn." Alvaryn smiles, stepping in front of me.

I force myself to smile up at him, blinking back the tears. He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear.

"My beautiful Dae, I can't wait to come back and keep my promise and make you my wife." He smiles, the kind of smile that would usually give me the feeling of butterfly's in my stomach but now only makes the tears well up.

"I am holding you to it General." I say trying my best to smirk but it feels more like a grimace.

He smiles, wiping a tear away as it falls. I look away, not wanting him to see but he stops me, taking my face in his hands and lifting my face to his.

"Don't hide. I meant what I said. I want to know every part of you, even the sad parts. I know you're scared and I won't lie to you and tell you that it won't be dangerous. But we are stronger, and we have something so much more important to fight for." He says with such conviction that it is hard not to believe him.

"Just please come back to me." I say as my eyes become blurry and more tears threaten to spill.

He brings me closer, pressing his lips to mine.

"Nothing will ever stop me from coming home to you." He kisses me once more and I can't stop myself from leaning after him as he pulls away and turns, pulling on his gloves and walking towards his horse.

I hug my arms around my waist wishing I had something else to hold onto as I try my best to keep my tears at bay.

Aeris says something to Alvaryn as he mounts his horse and they both look back at me. I wave at them and Aeris smiles, winking at me while Alvaryn smiles and nods.

I stand, gripping my sides, fingertips digging into the fabric. I will my legs to stay upright as I watch them pass the palace gates followed by other soldiers and banner men.

I can feel my heart beating against my rib cage like it is trying to follow them, with that ache in my chest feeling like my heart is being torn apart, knowing it won't be the same until they are back here with me.

The gates close with a heavy sound of finality and I stay standing, imagining I can hear the distant sounds of horse hooves on the ground, the bark of the dogs.

I don't want to move, I don't want to go back inside, if I go inside then it becomes real, if I go back inside then I will have to accept they are gone and I don't know when I will see them again.

I would rather stay standing here, I would rather exist in this small space of time where the war hasn't started and they are still safe and not surrounded by enemies or fighting for their lives.

I feel my heart beating again, straining and struggling against its enclosure, reaching out for its other halves.

"They will come back." Demwyn's voice startles me as I feel him step beside me. I hadn't even notice him move towards me. "They always come back."

"It's different this time. They don't have you with them." My voice is cold and strained and I can feel him tense beside me.

He wanted to be with them, not stuck here inside the palace walls. And even though after sharing his thoughts about our relationships and his desire they changed their minds, I wished he was with them. I worried that he would be their missing piece, that without him they wouldn't have the same success they have had so many times before. Would I blame him if something happened to them? Would he blame himself?

I feel him step away from me and I stay where I am, staring at the closed gates as the guards get back to their duties and servants mill about.

In that moment I no longer wanted adventure or freedom, I didn't think of roaming the forests or exploring new lands.

All I wanted was for the men I loved to be home with me by my side and for the rest of my life to start.