Chapter Forty Eight - Varis

Today was the day. All the lessons, all the events, every minute I have spent making sure everything went perfectly, they would all come to fruition and The Selection would transpire and the Princes would choose their wives allowing heirs to be born. And it was all because of me.

Harwyn and Marlia were even more hopeful than all our previous Selections and I could practically see their eyes sparkle as the knowledge that their sons would be about to choose their brides settled inside them.

This Selection would change our Kingdom, we would be the first royal family to produce heirs in one hundred years.

"Varis, I assume everything is ready to proceed." Harwyn says as he passes me on the dais.

"Of course Your Majesty, when you are ready you may begin your welcoming speech." I say with a nod as he takes his seat on the throne, Marlia just behind him with the princes already standing in line to the left.

As the quiet chatter continues in the audience I take a look out at those gathered knowing they are here because of me, that this hope in our future is because of me, and our future is secure because of me.

The King stands and the audience falls silent.

"Welcome honoured guests to this our Selection. We are so pleased to continue our tradition and aid in the continuation of our family lines. This year is even more special for myself and the Queen as our sons will be choosing wives of their own." He looks to the Princes who look back at him, pride evident in his expression. "It is every parents dream and hope that their children will find a partner in life that they can have a family with and share their lives with, and tonight that dream will become a reality for us, as it will for many of you as well." He says turning back to the audience.

They break out in applause and he smiles, raising his hand to silence them.

"So, without further ado, I would like to welcome this year's chosen to the Selection." He says holding his arm out towards the doors.

The guards open them and the chosen walk into the room, dressed in gowns of every colour, gold and jewels adorning their bodies and smiles on their faces just as they have been instructed.

They stand in a line in front of the dais and as one they curtsy to the King and Queen.

"Chosen, we welcome you to the Selection, you have spent weeks here with us, preparing for your futures and now the time has come for your futures to begin." Another round of applause erupts as the chosen stand still in their places.

"Now as is tradition, the selection will go in order of rank and age. Prince Demwyn will be the first to make his Selection, followed by Prince Alvaryn, Prince Aeris and then the High Lords that are participating in this year's Offering. For each of those who are to make your decision, I truly hope you are all as blessed as I was and find your perfect partner on this night." He looks over his shoulder at Queen Marlia who smiles up at him before turning to her sons, a look of excitement and anxiety crossing her face.

"Now, I will call up my son, Demwyn," He says turning to the Princes, Demwyn steps forward clasping his father's hand as his father leans in close and says something in his hear. Demwyn nods and smiles before the King takes a step back.

Demwyn turns to the audience. "Thank you father for your kind words and warm wishes. Tonight marks a special occasion for myself and my brothers as well as the High Lords partaking in the Selection. To the chosen," He says looking down at them. "It has been an honour to have you in our home and I hope you will come to have warm memories of your time here when you look back on these early days."

His shoulders lift as he takes in a deep breath and while I have been waiting for this night for what feels like months of planning and preparation, I know this selection is different, there is more at stake, the Kingdom's very future rulers are being chosen as I stand here waiting for Demwyn to announce his selected chosen.

"As for myself, I have made my decision and the chosen I have selected is..."

A loud high pitched scream fills the air making everyone stop and stare. The Queen stands as she screams, gripping her head in her hands, hands that are slowly turning black.

"Marlia!" The King stands instantly as Demwyn turns towards her.

"Mother, what is wrong?" He asks as his brothers move closer towards her.

"We will not stand by and watch as you ruin your Kingdom!" She cries, black slowly creeping up her arms to her elbows as Harwyn and her sons gather close to her, wary and terrified.

"Marlia, what is going on? Your magic..." Harwyn utters, staring at his wife helplessly.

"Your Majesty, maybe you shouldn't get too close, something is not right here." I say stepping up to their thrones.

"Nonsense Varis, she is my wife, someone get the healer!" he calls out as guards scramble and approach the dais warily, confusion written clearly on their faces if they are supposed to defend the crown or not.

"This selection cannot happen!" She cries, gripping her hair, pulling on the white blonde strands before her eyes turn black, she becomes utterly still and I can see it before it happens. She turns suddenly and attacks Harwyn, her arms outstretched towards him her dark magic flows into his body and he collapses to the ground in a silent scream of pain.

The Princes react, Demwyn grabbing his mother around the waist and trying to pull her away, while Alvaryn holds his arm outstretched toward his mother, using his own psychic magic but seeming powerless to do anything.

Aeris is trying to drag his father away and I grab Harwyn's arm pulling him further along the dais.

Another scream fills the air and I turn, seeing one of the chosen grip her head just as Marlia had as she cries out in pain. I know who she is, Daella.

She collapses to the ground and Aeris is up in an instant rushing over to her, Alvaryn follows him, both of them dropping to their knees in front of her as the other chosen stand back staring in shock and fear.

Chaos is all around and I know I must do something.

Marlia finally collapses into Demwyn's arms, the black receding back into her hands and her eyes close as she passes out.

"Demwyn, take Queen Marlia to her rooms immediately, I want guards posted at her doors. You," I point to a group of guards standing close by. "Return the chosen back to their rooms now." They snap to attention before herding the woman and ushering them out of the room. I look down at Harwyn, unconscious and probably to stay that way for some time.

I look down at Aeris and Alvaryn who are still hovering around Daella, they are speaking to each other quietly, back and forth with snaps and frustration while Daella continues to fit and tremble in silence.

"Prince Alvaryn, Prince Aeris, I will send for the healer and have guards escort Miss Daella to her room straight away. Perhaps you should assist in securing your father to his rooms and waiting for the healer." I say standing. They look up at me, and Aeris shakes his head.

"I will take Daella back to her rooms and wait for the healer, I don't trust anyone else." He says scooping her up into his arms before I can argue. Alvaryn stands with him, it is clear by his expression he wants to follow his brother but instead he turns towards the dais, looking at his father and nods.

The Selection that was to make my time as Advisor is now in complete ruins, with the guests scrambling to leave while gossiping and speculating, and now I am left to pick up the pieces and try and figure out what the hell just happened.