Chapter Twenty Two - Demwyn

I take my usual seat at the dinner table, Alvaryn is already there, Aeris strolls in with one of his usual smiles.

"Did you enjoy your afternoon Alvy?" Aeris asks with a wicked smile.

"I did brother, and you?" Alvaryn answers, watching as Aeris finds his seat.

"I had a splendid time with Daella, my new friend has quite the sense of humour." Aeris answers.

"Well that's good to hear, I hope Dae enjoyed her time as well."

"She isn't at all what I expected, I am beginning to understand why you are so eager to be friends with her."

Alvaryn watches him with a calm expression while Aeris starts serving himself from different dishes on the table. "Well there is no question as to why you are attempting to be friends with her."

"Whatever do you mean brother?" Aeris asks, projecting the look of innocence.

"I could hear your mind scheming away the moment I told you Dae and I were friends, I knew it would only be a matter of time before you drag Dae into your game, a game by the way only you are playing." Alvaryn replies, he is still trying to show a calm, controlled expression but I can see the way he is gripping his knife and fork that he may not be as in control as he appears.

"Is mind reading one of your talents now?" Aeris smiles. "I'm not dragging anyone into anything, I merely invited Daella to spend the afternoon with me and she agreed. You saw her this afternoon Dem, did she look like she had been forced to spend time with me? Were her hands bound?" He asks, looking at me.

I let out an angry sigh. "Have you both returned to children now because of a human girl? Competing with each other like teenagers." I finally interrupt.

"Aeris might see it that way, I had no intention of it being a competition in his eyes." Alvaryn answers.

"Of course you didn't, the chivalrous noble man you are would never think such things." Aeris replies, sipping from his wine. "And no Dem, there is no competition, it just so happens Daella has caught both of our attention."

"So you're both going to fight over her for her affection?" I ask.

"There will be no fighting." Alvaryn assures. "It is true that Daella and I are friends, but I wouldn't let her, or any woman, come between me and my brothers."

"Well-spoken brother, blood is thicker than wine after all." Aeris nods.

"Don't you mean, blood is thicker than water?" Alvaryn counters.

"In either case it is true." Aeris says raising his cup.

"Well, while that sounds well and good, I also know both of you. What happens if this continues and you both insist on spending time with Daella at the cost of each other's pride?" I ask.

They look at each other across the table.

"Daella only has the intention of being friends, it won't come to anything more. We will share her free time equally unless she decides otherwise." Alvaryn answers for the both of them.

Aeris nods in agreement. "Exactly, we can all be friends and play nicely."

I let out a heavy sigh. "I would like to believe that is possible but I grew up with both of you. Aeris, you do not know the meaning of the term share, and you Alvaryn, while you may believe her only intention is friendship, the selection is approaching and it may force you to change your own intentions."

They watch each other again, not speaking, Alvaryn calm faced, calculating, Aeris smiling in smug satisfaction, always sure of himself.

Why did it feel like this one human girl was starting something more significant than anyone realised?

She had defended her own intentions, giving me her reasons for befriending my brothers and while all of them continue to insist this friendship will do no harm I can't help but feel like a general on the battlefield watching his men walk into a fight he knows they won't walk out of.

Father enters, sitting at his space and greeting each of us.

"Evening sons, how are we all tonight?" He asks sitting is his chair at the head of the table.

"Very well father, yourself?" Aeris answers first.

"Good, good, another council meeting, and your mother has been asking for a visit from each of you so I would appreciate it if you could each find the time." He replies before drinking from his wine glass.

"I'll go tomorrow father." Aeris says with a nod.

"Good, now Demwyn, I want you on the next council meeting, you've been missing too many of them and it's time for you to start joining each of them." He says looking at me and I nod.

"Of course father, I'll make sure to be there." I tell him. Council meetings were among the most boring of my duties, made to sit and listen but never allowed to speak and add any input. Just a silent spectator while all the lords made decision about the kingdom I was destined to rule over.

I listen to Alvaryn and Aeris with father, everything in their worlds good and normal, everything going according to plan and all I can do is sit and wait.

There was little I could do to stop either of them, I am only their brother and can't order them about. But if this did grow out of control then I would be forced to step in and take matters into my own hands.