Chapter Thirty Five - Aeris

She had basically run out of the kennels, I had scared her, terrified her, her heart nearly beating out of her chest.

It had been a mistake to kiss her, no, no I can't think that, I don't want to take it back, it had been something I had wanted to do since I met her. Only it had been different, it wasn't just my want for her but something more.

Were her thoughts about someone else? She had kissed me back, she had wanted me in that moment I was sure of it.

I let out an angry sigh as I try and shove the last bits of my confusion and anger to the back of my mind before I knock on the closed door in front of me.

I open it walking out as I call out. "Hello Mother,"

Walking into the sun room I see her sitting on one of the chairs near the large window with a book in her hand, I swear she is sitting in the exact same position as last time I visited her, maybe with a different book.

"Aeris," She smiles up at me as I lean down to kiss her cheek. She cups my face in her hands. "I'm so happy you have come to visit me. Sit, sit, tell me everything, did you enjoy the solstice? Your magic was beautiful as always." She says as I sit in the chair opposite hers.

"Thank you, and yes, for the most part." I answer pulling out the cushion currently digging itself into my back and tossing it to another chair trying to forget about the last half of the solstice where I had to stop thinking about a certain someone so I didn't set everything and everyone on fire. "Did you enjoy the solstice?" I ask watching as she sets her book aside and smiles at me.

"Yes, it was good to see our people dancing and singing, and the chosen looked like they enjoyed it as well. What about your brothers? I saw Alvaryn dancing with one of the chosen before I left and he looked very happy." She smiles with an excited expression. The smile doesn't quite reach her eyes like it used to.

I nod looking out the window. "Yes, Alvaryn was dancing most of the night and Demwyn said he enjoyed relaxing for a few hours."

"I'm sorry you had to miss out on dancing with all of those beautiful women." She smiles and I smile at her, resting my chin on my hand. There had only been one woman I wanted to dance with and instead I had to leave her in the arms of my brother.

"It's good that Demwyn was able to relax for a while, he is always so busy with all of his duties that I don't think he gets much time to otherwise."

"That's just Demwyn, all he thinks and does is training and war, he doesn't have an off switch." I say gritting my teeth thinking about the fact Demwyn had said something to Daella, she didn't tell us exactly what he had said, only that he was worried about us. I was more worried that he was getting involved in things that had nothing to do with him.

"You don't mean that Aeris, Demwyn has many added responsibilities that you and Alvaryn do not, he is the general of the army and is responsible for their training, your father wants him to start attending all the council meetings which I know is important but gives him even less time for himself. I'm sure he would love to have free time like you and Alvaryn, yet he carries on with all of his duties with no complaints." She replies and I smile tightly.

"Mother, do you remember marrying Father?" I ask after a moment of silence, turning to the window.

"Of course I do, why do you ask?"

"Were you angry or upset when it happened? Did you feel like you had no choice?" I ask quietly.

"No I wasn't angry or upset, I was raised a Princess, I always knew that one day I would be married off to someone. I was happy that I was able to serve my kingdom and help create peace between our kingdoms." She answers in her soft sing song voice.