Chapter Thirty Eight - Daella

King Harwyn takes his seat after his welcome to all the guests, a smile on his face as he looks at Queen Marlia and she smiles back, her long white hair reminding me so much of Aeris. I'm only watching them so closely because I can feel their eyes on me and I'm trying my best not to look.

I turn away from the dais and plant a small smile on my face, hands clasped in front of me I stand near the other girls as music begins to play and I know the dancing will begin any moment now. My lungs burn and I realise I am holding my breath, I let it out, taking in quick gasps of air.

"Dae," I freeze as I hear his voice, eyes wide I look in front of me trying to find an escape but with nothing and no one close enough I slowly turn around to face Alvaryn.

"Your Highness," I curtsy slowly and I can feel the ire radiating off of him. He didn't like me using his title, always insisted I call him by his name, but I needed to keep this formal, I needed to keep this distance.

"Can I have this dance?" He asks holding his hand out and I nod, taking his hand as he leads me to the dance floor as other couples take their places.

We begin moving in step together and I stare at his jacket, too afraid to look up into his eyes. The delicate gold swirl of embroidery against the emerald green of his jacket around the edge of his lapel keeping my focus.

"How are you?" He asks softly.

"Well, and yourself?"

He lets out an irritated sigh.

"A little confused and concerned to be honest with you, why have you refused to meet with me the last two times?" He asks, words rushed out as we continue moving together.

My thoughts scramble but I had practised this answer, I had repeated the words over and over in my head in case they asked the question.

"I decided it would be best if we stop spending time together alone." I answer as calmly as possible.

"What? Why?"

"While I have valued our friendship I believe it is best if you focus on your responsibilities and I focus on mine." I can feel the weight on my chest, still as heavy as the day it settled there. I didn't realise how difficult it would be to say these words out loud, it hard been hard enough just thinking them alone in my room.

"What is that supposed to mean? I am perfectly capable of focussing on my responsibilities when I spend time with you, how does us being friends have anything to do with our responsibilities?" He asks, I can hear the irritation and confusion in his voice and I remind myself to breathe and step and turn avoiding his eyes at all costs.

"You and Aeris have important decisions to make and I need to make sure I am presenting myself as well as possible for the selection. Our time together was coming to an end anyways, soon you will both have wives and I will be leaving the palace, it is best for us to end our time together now." I say, trying desperately to keep my voice calm and strong but I can feel the tears threating to gather.

"You won't even look at me Dae, where has this come from? You can't mean all of that." His words are urgent and I can feel myself giving in, but I couldn't tell them the full truth.

I take a deep breath and force myself to look up at him, his beautiful grey eyes are two dark storm clouds and I force myself to hold his stare.

"I do mean it, I did a lot of thinking and I believe this is for the best." I say, willing as much confidence into my voice as possible. He will know I'm not lying, that every word is the truth.

His brows furrow as he continues to stare down at me. The song and dance coming to an end I take a step back and curtsy.

"Thank you for the dance." I say quickly before turning and leaving him there.