Chapter Seventy One - Alvaryn

Another sigh escapes Aeris lips and I turn watching as he stretches his neck from side to side like he is preparing to go into the sparring ring. I suppose in a way we were, just not one with swords and fists.

"Did you get any sleep?" I ask as we walk towards the King's chambers.

"I'm fine." He answers gruffly and I take that as a no.

"It won't do us any good if you lose your control and start making demands." I reply, adjusting the lapel of my coat.

"I'm not going to lose control." He replies tightly, already I can sense he is on the edge. The lack of sleep on top of everything else means his emotions would be volatile and while he may be doing his best to present himself as if he is fine, I know he is not.

But in truth, neither am I. How can we be? It has been two days. Two days and we have buried their bodies and crowned a new King and while the rest of the Kingdom may be able to move on, hanging their black banners in the street to express their sympathy it isn't enough.

Two days is not enough time for the amount of change we have endured.

I take a steadying breath as my mind goes over all the words I had prepared and practiced over and over. I knew them back to front and still I felt like I was not ready. There would be no going back once this was done. And while I was confident in my decision, the repercussions of voicing it to the only person who could make a difference left me feeling a little less confident.

Guards stand at attention outside the King's office, I take in the black bands on their arms in sympathy for the loss of our King and Queen and my steps falter.

The realisation that I wasn't going to walk in and see my father behind his desk as I had countless times before hits me and I struggle to process it.

"Ready?" Aeris asks pausing to look at me.

I stare at the closed doors, the dark oak wood and golden filigree familiar. I could describe every inch and detail of that office, remember the individual place of every ornament and decoration. I could picture in my mind all the times I had visited my father in his office, from the age of five and sitting on his lap while he worked, to just weeks ago before the world had changed. There was something innately wrong with knowing that the moment those doors open he won't be there, that he will never be there again. It isn't his office anymore.

"Alvaryn?" Aeris touches my shoulder and I flinch, blinking and turn to him.

I nod once.

"Ready." I say walking towards the doors and forcing all my memories back to where they belong.

The guards move as one, opening the doors as we step up to it and even the smell of the familiar room sends a flurry of memories and it is a struggle to ignore them.

Demwyn looks up from the desk, father's desk, the kings desk, his desk. He looks between the two of us, a pen in his hands and a frustrated expression on his face.

"A visit from both of you, to what do I owe the honour?" He asks dryly, scribbling something on the paper in front of him.

Everything in the room is exactly the same, not a single thing out of place, and yet it is completely different.

"We need to speak to you about our future here with you and our loyalty to you." I begin calmly.

He stops scribbling, dropping the pen and looking up at me, expression now confused and verging on angry.

"I'm confused." He says leaning back into the chair and folding his arm over his chest. "Why would you need to discuss your future here and what doubts could you have after swearing your loyalty to me? You are crown princes of Wyndelle, your place is here and your loyalties lie to this Kingdom, to me."