Chapter Sixty Three - Alvaryn

It is my two hundred and fiftieth name day and instead of the usual celebrations I decided to forgo all of it considering the current situation. I was never one for being the centre of attention anyways, so spending it with my family and Dae was all I wanted.

I knock on mother's door before opening it, while she was technically no longer under guard and could leave if she wanted to she opted to stay in her rooms with her usual servants. Guards were still positioned around the castle, more than usual, after the knowledge we were attacked Father made sure every inch of the castle was covered.

"Good morning Mother," I call out as I walk into her rooms, heading towards the sun room where I know she would be waiting.

"Oh Alvaryn, there you are, happy name day my love." She says standing up out of her chair and holding her arms out to me.

I hug her gently, her delicate frame familiar and comforting. Her sweet scent of lilacs bring a flurry of memories and feelings rushing through me as I hold her.

"Thank you Mother." I smile down at her as she steps back.

"Have you just come from breakfast with your Father and Aeris?" She asks.

I nod. "Yes, they wished me a happy name day and agreed to let go of our usual traditions in exchange for a quiet day."

Her mouth turns down at the idea. "Oh, but you boys always used to love your name day celebrations, we would have cakes and games and so many guests." She smiles, lost in her memories.

"When we were children, yes, but it has been some time since I enjoyed those kinds of ordeals." I shake my head.

"Well, even if we don't have a special event for you, I still have a gift." She smiles excitedly holding her hands together and moving towards one of the tables in the room where a wrapped gift sits. "Open it." She says once I step up to the gift.

I unwrap the paper carefully and find three leather bound books, gold rimmed pages fill the books and the lettering on the covers is engraved in gold.

"They are a set of rare tombs by Thalyron Dannius." She smiles up at me, her eyes wide and excited.

"He is one of my favourite explorer's, how did you know?" I ask, looking down at her in surprise as I run my hands over the cover.

"Alvaryn, I am your mother, of course I knew, you used to read his tales for hours on end." She replies squeezing my arm.

"Thank you, they're beautiful." I say, looking down at the books again. Of course my mother would get me something incredibly thoughtful and ridiculously expensive.

"Of course my love, now come sit with me." She urges, taking my arm and leading me over to the arm chairs.

She sits down first before I take my seat opposite her.

"I want to know about the chosen you spoke to your father about." She begins slowly.

"Daella." I say her name, she wasn't just a chosen anymore. "He told you about that?" I ask, leaning back into the chair.

"Of course, we have no secrets. He told me you and Aeris came to him, telling him you did not want to wait for the selection because you have already selected a chosen to marry." She answers, her words open and expression wary. "Is it true that you both want to marry this Daella?"

I let out a heavy breath and nod. "Yes, it's true."

"And you love her?"

"Yes, I am in love with her."

"I was told that you and Aeris never left her side after she was attacked at the selection." She goes on.