The next day

It was the next day. The first day without Salim. Him not peeking into her practice through the window, not him pissing her off and then finding ways to apologise, not him coming to the river bank to play with her, not him to sit besides at the swing. Everywhere was killing silence. No one dared to take his name in front of Madhuri.
She didn't show up for any practice. She was in her room thinking about him all day . She waited on the balcony thinking that he would climb up any time. Her father tried to convince her to go the palace but she didn't agree. It's been 3 days , same thing going on loop. Her father this time forcefully took her to the palace for her practice.

She danced looking at the window all the time hoping he might come. She waited at her spot on the terrace thinking he might come, but he didn't. She even sometimes thought that he was there with her when he wasn't. She searched for him in the palace, in his room hoping she might find him and he was playing a really bad joke on her . She waited on the gates everyday hoping to see a returning carriage.

She sits on the swing alone watching sunsets when his words echos in her mind,
"Sunsets remind me of you Madhu."
" Is he looking at the same sunset I am looking at ?" She speaks to herself.
"Madhuri ?" She turned around to look the voice calling her. She immediately stood up when she saw Salim's Mother standing behind her.
" It's okay sit." They both sat on the swing .
" Missing him?" She asked Madhuri.
Madhuri nodded .
" Me too. I miss his presence around me all the time."
" Why did you send him away?" She asked his mother.
" His father wanted him to learn more and more. He is going to be one of the great warriors when he comes back."
"But still -"
" He is my son, I miss him a lot too. I didn't wanted him to go away from me . Who is going to fight with his father on this?"
" True ."
" It's okay Madhuri, come here." She hugged her.
" You are just fifteen, you will meet many new people in your life and they will go away too. But you can't cry on each and every one and keep your life on hold , right?"
"But it's Salim."
" I know, and I am sure he is missing you too."
" Then why didn't he tell me that he's leaving?"
" He cried to me that day, when he came to meet you at night."
" You knew about that ?"
" Ofcourse I sent him. He was so upset and crying to me how he didn't want to go away . He couldn't ever say goodbye to you. I told him that he would regret not doing that so I told him to atleast see you one last time. You are very special to him Madhuri."
She smiled a little.
" Move on Madhuri , keep him in your memories forever.One day , when he will back , he would be happy to know that you lived your life , you were happy. If you are happy so will he ."
She patted her head and left .

Madhuri wished that she would have known about him leaving before so that she would have given a proper goodbye to him.

She continued living her life with his memories written all over her. She flewed doves for him.
"Hey dove , if you ever see my Salim, tell him I love him and I miss him a lot. "
She kept performing dance at the royal court. She still used to wait at the gates everyday for him to return .She lived for the hope of it all.

( Author 's note:- listen to 'Agar tum saath ho ' from tamasha for a better experience.)