3. {the summer is still mine}

Ninety percent of the time when I was younger, I was always within the pages of a new book. I would go in the shower with a new book, lunch time, the park. literally everywhere. My brother thought it was a disease considering how he gets bored out of his mind at the mention of reading. While I thought of it as a means of glorious escape from the wretchedness of the world, he merely thought of it a chore.

In recent times, when the letters from the pages seem to go around and blur out in my head constantly, I put on my EarPods to listen to an audiobook instead. Half a loaf better than none, as they say.

As soon as I fixed my hair, applied some mascara to my almond-shaped eyes and lip gloss onto my lips, I laced my boot, grabbed my bag and dashed out of my bedroom hoping to make it to my brother before he had my head cut off.

"Mae I swear to God if you don't come down th-"

Jake stopped yelling once he saw that I was down the stairs. I sent him an apologetic smile as I took the toasts he made in my hand and ate it on stand instead.

"You need extra classes on punctuality," he threw his hands up in frustration as he grabbed the car keys and walked towards the door.

"Sorry, I got caught up with time." I took a drink from the refrigerator and hurried after him.

I sat patiently on the chair waiting to be called into the office while I listened to a reading of The Alchemist

"Everyone on earth has a treasure that awaits him-"

I stopped the recording once I was sure the receptionist gestured to me, I sent her an acknowledging nod before heading towards the door. On the door, I found a sign which had a name written on it. As I easily comprehended what was written as Joy Greene, I figured today was going to be a good day for me.

Well, it was mostly due to the spacing in between the words but it was still an ego boost for me.

"Ms. Randell?" The receptionist called me back to
reality and that was my cue to actually knock and go into the office. As I entered, Faye did a quick goodbye as she left the office. I wondered what she was doing there but I got distracted as I came to face a 40-year old woman with soft brown curls and a big smile.

"Welcome, Mary-Rose, it is nice to meet you," she held out her hand for a shake which I took before taking a seat.

"Thank you," I answered her. She then flipped through the pages of papers on her desk before proceeding to ask the questions.

"Your records show that you've maintained an average record up until the last semester Mary, do you have any issues with classes?" She asked me.