24. {timeout}

It had been two days since what happened. My father was still at the hospital but he was going to get discharged and my mom had gone to get him. Jake had been at the police station again while I just stayed at home.

While Harry got ready as she had to resume work back, I arranged my study table to try to get myself back to my normal life. I was only starting to accept that my dyslexia was a part of me, that's why I didn't want to push myself too hard. And now that Derby's was out of the picture, it felt like I could finally focus. One step at a time, just like my advisor instructed.

"So, you and Kai uh," Harry started that morning as she sat down in front of the mirror stand fixing her makeup.

"What?" With a smile and my back back turned to her, I engaged in her conversation.

"Don't even lie to me, I've seen you look at that man." She mused without turning to me, but with the way she sounded, I could tell she had a knowing smirk on her face.

"I do like him, a lot," I answered her.

"Of course you like him, I'm asking what are you going to do about it?" She asked me, turning to me with a serious expression this time.

"We're just going to see if things work out, no pushing hard." I responded and I nodded like I wanted to believe that myself.

"In case you need any pep talk, Kai is a really good person," She assured me.

"You do realize how old I am, don't you?" I smiled.

"Yeah, with my twenty three years of great foresight and experience, I can tell when someone is genuine so," she responded as she flipped her hair across dramatically.

"You couldn't tell that Faye was onto us," I jested.

"Bad joke, ass."

"I'll tell my brother what you called me."

"Don't make him call off our wedding in three years."

"Shut up."

My phone chimed as I sat in front of the tv

My phone chimed as I sat in front of the tv. With the anticipation of Kai's text that afternoon, I picked up my phone and clicked on the notification. My smile instantly disappeared at the message.

::: can we meet?
I have something to say

I wasn't always good at reading people. I couldn't really tell if someone was lying or not, if they were being genuine or not. But it was the first time I found myself wanting to trust in the harmlessness in Faye's message.

I knew my brother would have my head if he knew I had met her alone, again. If she killed me, it would be such a waste of trying to read genuineness out of someone. But I figured I didn't want to die so I texted Kai that I was at coffee bean just in case.

Once I found a feminine figure on a hat with part of her ginger red hair sticking out of the hat, I could guess that it was Faye so I approached the table and sat across her.