22. {september 5th}

🔔 this chapter is written in the author's pov

05/09/2021

It was an awfully cold night in the summer but it was payday for Victor Randell and so he had been out to his place of comfort with some of his casino friends. As he left the poker table, he headed to the blackjack to play some more games.

"I am determined to make you go home a loser today, Randell," Peter, his friend stated as he shuffled the cards.

"Hmm, and I heard you got your ass beaten by that girl last week," Victor remarked as he carried his own cards and assessed them carefully.

"That girl has ridiculously good luck, you'd get your ass whipped as well," Peter challenged as his facial muscles lined up to a sneer.

"No one has better luck at this thing like I do, especially not some university girl the size of my daughter," Victor responded and the rest of the spectators laughed.

"Really?" Peter mused. "Why don't you get her to come play then?"

"Bring her, let's get this over with." Victor said again and his other friends cheered him on.

From the shocked expression on the faces of the rest of Victors' friends and the cruel sneer on Peter's face, you could tell that Victor Randell was quite out of luck even with the smirk on his face

"How the fuck are you even doing this?" Victor yelled as he gazed down on the red-haired girl who seemed to be hiding a grin behind the blank expression on her face.

"You seem to be out of luck today, Mr Randell," she spoke as she pushed a glass of wine to him.

He took the glass, downed its content and slammed it on the table before he bellowed, "one more."

"Wouldn't that be the rest of your money?" The girl inquired now with an evident mocking smirk on her face.

"Since when did that become your own concern?" He asked her as he poured more wine for himself before Peter started to shuffle the cards.

"I am just looking out for you," she raised her hands for emphasis as they started the game again.

"An ace and a queen, how do you beat that?" He asked her with a wide grin on his face. His chest heaved with the anxiety that she could have better cards hidden but on his face, he had an unmatched confidence on.

"Come on Martin, drop your cards." Peter asked of her as he seemed to be sure that the girl had better luck than the lucky bastard he called his friend.

And as Martin dropped her cards with a frown on her face, Victor's smile beamed as he smiled ear to ear before he screamed out in mockery.

"Now, who's out of luck now?" Randell asked as he cleared off the table and packed all of the money in front of Martin.