12. {a meal with the Marece}

"I'm just gonna go get the first aid kit," I told Kai as he parked in my driveway. I felt very much better this afternoon, I was just glad that I was helping Kai in one way as well.

"Thanks." He nodded as he took a seat on the front porch.

I wasn't expecting the door to be unlocked when I went into my house because I had been home alone for the past weeks.

"So that's what you've been busy doing?" I heard my father's voice from the living room. "That's why you didn't want me to rent a car as well?"

I found him splayed out on the couch with a few burned cigarettes on the table. The whole room was filled with the smell of the smoke from the lit cigarette and he seemed to have been out and about doing all kinds of things, mostly drinking.

"You won't ever change, will you?" I murmured as I walked up to the couch.

"That's where your head is at these days, Mary-rose?" He asked me again. "That's why you've been failing your classes? You let a boy distract you?"

His eyes were sunken and held almost no emotion, no regret, nothing, and as he talked, tears welled up in my eyes.

"What are you even talking about? Kai is my friend from work," I yelled in response.

In his rage, he swept the table, breaking the glass cup in the process, "Don't you dare lie to me! What does your counsellor think a psychologist is needed for, exactly?"

"Dyslexia?" he pointed his fingers at me and continued, "oh I'm gonna call your mom and ask her whose child you are."

"I really hate you!" I yelled as I pushed him in his chest.

"I hate you too, I hate everyone!" He yelled as he shoved me to the ground in reflex. I stumbled and cut my palm on the glass on the floor.

"Mae," he immediately reached to me as soon as he realized what he did.

The door suddenly opened and I found Kai's eyes widening in terror. He immediately helped me up and checked my body to see if I was hurt anywhere.

"My God, Mae I am so sorry," my Dad seemed to sober up instantly at the sight of the blood from my hand.

"I'm going to leave and not come till you're in your senses," I told him.

"What? Don't leave me, I just lost all my fuckin' money!" He yelled as he hit the ground in his drowsiness. In that moment as we walked to Kai's car, I wondered if keeping my Dad's secret was worth it. I wondered if Jake would see me differently after knowing what I did, I wondered if Harry would say I disgusted her, I wondered if Kai would stop being so nice to me.

 I wondered if Jake would see me differently after knowing what I did, I wondered if Harry would say I disgusted her, I wondered if Kai would stop being so nice to me

The ride in Kai's car was silent all through, even when he asked if he could go to his house instead, I only nodded without saying a thing. I hadn't even cried about what happened, I felt like breaking down right there but I just didn't know how to. As we walked to his front door, I could feel his hand hanging behind my back, guiding me through as we walked.