18. {hello misery}

I walked towards the kitchen and met her halfway. My entire body set off in delight as I smiled and pulled into her embrace.

"Mom! You're here!" I cried as she patted my hair.

"I am," she pulled apart and cupped my cheeks with a bright smile on her smooth face, "did you miss me?"

I was about to rant to her about how much I waited patiently for her to come when he randomly popped out of the corner in a black suit, looking more clean than the last time I had seen him.

"Look, your Dad," she smiled as she gestured towards him and with the way he smiled back with his arms crossed, I knew that Mom had no idea what has happened in her absence.

"I'm going to call Jacob," she announced as she grabbed her phone and walked back to the kitchen. My father approached me with a blank expression, his arms still crossed.

"Mary," he called my name and I hissed. "Look, I am really sorry about last time. I got so drunk because of my gambling debts, I shouldn't have." He explained.

"And that wraps everything up?" I stared at him as I shook my head in disbelief.

"I'm sure you don't want to ruin this whole thing, look at your Mom smile. She deserves that," he told me and as I looked at Mom approach us and went towards the door, it was still with that smile on her face.

The door clicked open and Jake walked into the house and tossed his training bag on the couch. "Ma," he mouthed before he pulled into her hug. As soon as they pulled apart, he walked towards us with a frown on his face.

He turned to Dad and asked in a low whisper, "What are you doing here?"

"I want to change, Jake. Give me this chance," he asked, with a sincere look that would take a stranger away.

"You said that the last time, and the time before that," he hissed and let go of the topic as Mom came to us.

My mother had bad jet lag, so she went to bed early yesterday

My mother had bad jet lag, so she went to bed early yesterday. Jake stopped talking to Dad and so I chose to ignore that he was around as well.

There was a new found happiness as I walked down the stairs this morning. I danced with my bag as I took in the smell of my mom cooking. This time, I thought it would be possible to take in and memorize the smell of the food she cooked.

"Good morning my love," she greeted me with a peck as we hugged. "Are you prepared to see the advisor?"

She had knowledge of the fact that I had dyslexia but we all decided to leave her out of the reason why. I thought it was probably the best to do that. I was giving my mom's marriage all of the shot that I had, not one that he deserved.

"Yes I am," I answered her.

"Alright, eat up so we can go." She told me as she stacked pancakes in my plate.