Chapter 5

Tom was breathing heavily behind me, "If they get too heavy for you, I can carry them for a bit."

His comment actually caused me to chuckle. I couldn't remember the last time I had chuckled, probably back when my eyes had been light brown. The chuckle had also caused me to unclench my jaws. To my surprise, I had become slightly desensitized to the scent of these four during the last hour of hard walking. The virus still sang for their blood, but it was easier to tune it out. I still wouldn't be able to lower my guard in case my control slipped.

I paused to glance back at the two tired adults and smirked, "By the time I tire enough to put them down, you will have collapsed."

I turned and kept walking. I heard Tom mutter to Marissa, "I know she is helping us, but she seems to be a bit of a jerk."

I had been terse and blunt whenever I had spoken so far, despite their occasional polite attempts at conversation. Marissa replied softly, "She probably just isn't used to being around people after so long. She may be gruff around the edges, but if she had really been a jerk, she would have left us behind."

Tom grunted. I ignored their conversation; a normal human wouldn't have heard their quiet whispering. We would be pushing it to get to the cabin by nightfall. If these two have enough breath to talk, then we are clearly not going fast enough. I picked up the pace a bit as we kept walking. Yeah, I was a bit of a jerk.

Time and distance passed far too slowly for my tastes. The two behind me were saving their breath to try and keep up with our slightly faster pace. I had to give them credit for their determination though, they weren't going to be left behind easily—even if they had to go to the point of collapse. Finally the bridge came into sight. I called back over my shoulder, "The bridge is up ahead, we are more than halfway back. Just keep up, once we get to my cabin you can pass out."

Tom muttered, "I think she must have been a drill sergeant before the world went to shit. They push you right to the breaking point with no remorse."

I was somewhat amused that Marissa once more stuck up for me. "If she had no remorse she wouldn't let us stop for a short break every fifteen minutes."

Tom made no response as he panted. Liz was softly singing on my shoulders as she looked around with no fear. Josh was sleeping as I carried him. It was rare to encounter zombies in the middle of the forest like this and thankfully we hadn't encountered any so far. The bridge was the only time we had come out of the forest. It was a narrow bridge, only wide enough for one car at a time.

Marissa looked at the road longingly as we left it to enter the forest on the other side of the bridge. Walking on the flat road would be easier than weaving through trees and over rocks. I also knew that the death of their three companions sat heavily in their hearts. I wasn't sure how to speak softly or make any attempt to console someone anymore.

I spoke gruffly, "The road goes a long way before it comes to any town or buildings. My cabin is much closer. Besides, few zombies roam the forest, they prefer to hang out in towns or wander along the roads."

I was trying to keep my irritation suppressed, but wasn't doing very well at it. I wasn't used to watching every step I took to keep it human-like. I had stifled half a dozen growls already and they had barely been speaking. My constant hold on my control due to their mere presence was an irritant as well. Nightstalkers in general were prone to irritation. Very prone.

She sighed, but sounded oddly grateful. "Thank you."

I wasn't entirely sure why she was thanking me. They knew I was irritated and in a somewhat foul mood. Perhaps she didn't know why either.