Chapter 11

I sat in the truck bed with my back against the cab. Hank and Ben had gone over a map they had found and they chose a route that we would try to follow in hopes of finding a Stronghold.

Tom had been persistent enough to get himself and the children to ride in the cab as Hank drove. The others sat in the truck bed with me. Nicky had no problems sitting beside me. Ben was still leery of me and gave me my space. Marissa seemed to have gotten over the worst of her fears, but she still didn't come close.

The horn honked and I rose into a crouch. We passed a Runner who reached for the truck, if it got a good grip, it could pull itself in with us. I lunged forward with a ferocious snarl as I swiped out with my nails. My sudden presence startled it and it balked with a snarl of its own. The truck was out of reach within a second. I resumed my seat. Chloe had her tail tucked and whined in fear. We had tied her to the truck just in case she tried to jump.

With the debris and pot holes in the road we couldn't go that fast and Runners were a potential threat. I had said that I could keep one or two at bay as long as we kept moving. I don't think they realized exactly what that entailed at the time. Ben and Marissa were white and their eyes were round at my method of keeping the Runner at bay. Nicky was grinning widely while sporting her new sunglasses.

Nicky elbowed my side lightly. I raised an eyebrow at her with a light growl. She wasn't fazed as she grinned at me, "I love having a zombie as a friend. You make things interesting."

Yep. She had definitely been dropped on her head as a child. I shook my head at her unique outlook on life. Of all people to not be bothered by the fact that I was a zombie...

To my surprise she wrapped an arm around me, "You may be growly, but deep down you are just a big softy. Why else would you hang out with humans?" I didn't appreciate the contact.

I rolled my eyes before swiftly wrapping my arm around her neck and giving her a noogie. She flailed her arms as she tried to get me off. I was gentle and released her seconds later. Ben was watching in shock as Nicky took it all in stride. She lightly punched my arm in retaliation as we grinned at each other. She raised her eyebrows, "So you can put the run on the Runners, what about other Nightstalkers or Terrors?"

"They would have to be feral to come after us. I have the upper hand over another Nightstalker because I am in control and can use weapons. I have never met a Terror before, but they are stronger and faster than Nightstalkers."

She frowned, "So if we come across a Terror we're screwed?"

I nodded, "Pretty much. I wouldn't be able to hold one off for more than three or four seconds and you wouldn't be able to get away in that much time. I might be able to grab one of the children and run, but if it gave chase we would be done for."

She made a face, "Let's avoid Terrors then."

Ben muttered, "I don't think it is something you can plan for. Our original plan had been to avoid all zombies and now I am sitting in the box of a truck with one."

I snorted, "If you had let me out of that store earlier, you would likely still be oblivious."

He made a face as Nicky laughed. Her laughter was interrupted as the truck suddenly slowed to a stop. I stood up and looked forward. I gave a growl of irritation at the sight that met my eyes. The bridge had washed out. The deep swift water wasn't something even this jacked up truck could cross. Hank opened the driver's door, "I guess we have to backtrack and use the other road. Hopefully that bridge is intact. But I have bad news."

Ben frowned, "What is it?"

Hank sighed, "This truck is terribly hard on gas and we are under a quarter tank."